Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mariokarttour-250x250.jpg
Nintendo has announced that it will begin testing a multiplayer option for its Mario Kart Tour mobile game in December, a step towards the full multiplayer mode that's considered essential to the mobile title's success.

The announcement came on Friday via the Japanese video game giant's official Twitter account and explained that access to multiplayer would initially be limited to Mario Kart Tour Gold Pass subscribers.

Mario Kart Tour for iOS and Android devices currently lacks the option to race against friends, leaving it shorn of the vital game mechanic that has helped make it one of Nintendo's longest running franchises on console.

A real-time multiplayer beta test is planned for December and will be available to #MarioKartTour Gold Pass subscribers.Stay tuned here for more details coming soon. pic.twitter.com/xNIdJE44cI - Mario Kart Tour (@mariokarttourEN) November 1, 2019

Nintendo's latest smartphone app was downloaded over 90 million times in its first week, according to Sensor Tower. The number eclipses both Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp and Super Mario Run, which were downloaded a respective 14.3 million times and just under 13 million times in their debut week, making Mario Kart Tour Nintendo's biggest mobile game launch to date.

Announced in January 2018, the game was delayed several times before its debut in September. The game's optional "Gold Pass" subscription introduces various in-game items and badges and also unlocks the faster 200cc mode. Nintendo is offering a two-week free trial, after which it costs $4.99 a month.

Mario Kart Tour is a free download from the App Store, requires iOS 10 or later to play, and officially supports iPhone 5s or iPad Air and later devices. A Nintendo Account is also required to play the game. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Mario Kart Tour Multiplayer Beta Test to Launch in December

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
played only 30 seconds of it. realized how bad the drift controls were (and the non-drift controls) and deleted the app immediately after.

Reactions: CE3

kaostheory777

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Rockhampton, Australia
Nintendo’s mobile gaming strategy with this is nearly as bad as EA’s greed. Just charge more for the game and stop all this games as a service stuff. Who wants ANOTHER subscription? If the game was good (and full featured) I’d happily pay a premium for it. If you’re scared about hurting device sales then don’t do it in the first place, but if you do don’t do it so half @ssed and greedy!

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Too late. Already got bored with the game and uninstalled it. Everything about it was done in the worst way possible: terrible control scheme, fake "real time" racing (can't pause, but you aren't actually racing in real time with other players), all your tour progress is erased when a new tour is released so there's no way to go back and replay courses you were trying to complete, no total star count so you can't even compare overall progress with friends... it's literally like they took Mario Kart, sat down in a conference room, and said "how can we destroy this franchise and make everyone hate us?"

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Could've been an amazing game and had they done it right I would've been willing to pay at least $20 for it. Oh well, money saved.

Wait they are charging $4.99/month for this!?! That's what Apple Arcade costs lol.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
this game is so bad and it’s genuinely the most disappointing thing for anyone who loves the console versions. Multiplayer is DOA now that they’ve convinced all the longtime MK fans that their app is fatally flawed (which it is)
Where’s the Apple TV version?
I’m just picturing someone using the touch bar on the PS4 controller to drift left and right as the game plays on ATV in an unmodified iPhone screen ratio

Last edited:

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
Let me be the first to say this is a GREAT mobile game. I have spent hours on it. I play this more than any of my home console games.

The $5 a month is “too much” for some people but all they would have to do is eat one less Whopper/Big Mac that month and bingo. GOLD PASS!!

cbaca51

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2016
Cali
Didn’t even bother downloading this. Rather just play on my Switch to get the full experience instead of this watered down attempt

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I initially hated the controls, but with Manual Drift off and Smart Steering on, I've gotten decent at the game. I've played it daily since the initial US release and have amassed and upgraded a huge roster of drivers, karts and gliders.

That said, all the fun for me is beating my scores and improving my collection as a single player experience. If any friends were using the game, multiplayer might be appealing, but I lost my appetite for getting thrashed by strangers with the Wii version years ago.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Nintendo’s mobile gaming strategy with this is nearly as bad as EA’s greed. Just charge more for the game and stop all this games as a service stuff. Who wants ANOTHER subscription? If the game was good (and full featured) I’d happily pay a premium for it. If you’re scared about hurting device sales then don’t do it in the first place, but if you do don’t do it so half @ssed and greedy!
The cynic in me says that's is intentional, to get more people interested in Nintendo's games, while also giving them a reason to move away from phones and onto Switches

Reactions: kaostheory777

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I love it. You can get really far without paying a single thing.

even on the follow up tours since the original I haven’t had to pay anything and I’ve got nearly all the characters.

Reactions: FaustsHausUK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.