Mark all mail in Mail as read?

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
How can I mark all my email in Mail as read? Because I imported them all from Outlook 2003 on Windows XP, and so they all show up as unread right now.

Thanks! :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
⌘-A to select all in a given mailbox, then shift-⌘-U to mark them as read.

Edit: shift-⌘-U toggles read/unread status.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I have literally at least 150 folders, and don't want to go through each one.

Is there a quicker way of doing this? :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Make a smart mailbox, use rules to include all of your emails (shouldn't be too hard to figure out a few simple rules, like 'Match any of (1) From contains "a" and (2) From does not contain "a"'). Select all in that mailbox, mark 'em as read, then delete the smart mailbox.

Problem solved.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
jsw said:
Make a smart mailbox, use rules to include all of your emails (shouldn't be too hard to figure out a few simple rules, like 'Match any of (1) From contains "a" and (2) From does not contain "a"'). Select all in that mailbox, mark 'em as read, then delete the smart mailbox.

Problem solved.
yea.. you could also use automator maybe? not sure..

otherwise just make a smart mailbox that contains all new mail. then save the mailbox.. select all, then mark as read. would take literally.. about 10 seconds to do

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
I'm using Panther. I can't find this Smart mailbox feature; it isn't even in the Help.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Gary King said:
I'm using Panther. I can't find this Smart mailbox feature; it isn't even in the Help.
ah you're using the old and busted Panther and not Tiger. Tiger is the only one that has smart mailboxes. see how easy everything is when you use the new stuff? :p

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
James Philp said:
150 folders?!? Are you crazy! :eek: :confused:
yea i noticed that too... some people use their email way too much. it's almost obsessive compulsive. I get very very little mail, usually between professors, tech support for my web host, and like online purchase recipts and what have you. i maybe get one useful email a day, sometimes more, but typically one email a day is worthwhile.

a c j

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
Aylesbury Vale, UK
Mark All read after import

I can confirm this works well although under Lion Mail gives you an even easier option of setting up a smart mailbox for all unread mails then select all mark as read as above

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I can confirm this works well although under Lion Mail gives you an even easier option of setting up a smart mailbox for all unread mails then select all mark as read as above
Yes, but the OP wrote this 6 years ago and was using an OS 4 versions older than Lion. I doubt your input is going to help much.