Mark on brand new macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MilkMan4, Jul 25, 2011.

1. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

I just noticed this mark on my brand new air on the left palm rest. I noticed it when i purchased my air and was setting it up in the store , too but i didn't really think anything of it. When i look at it closer, its like a streak / cluster of black dots, almost looking like it was an area where it was not fully painted with the silver color.
    I know its small but it bugs me and I'm sure it would but a lot of you guys too!
    Is this something apple would fix for free?

ps i could post a picture if anyone wanted

2. getyup macrumors 6502

Yeah it's likely just an oversight in workmanship, just take it back and they'll swap it for a different one for you.

3. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

yeah, get it exchanged. i remember when i had a 13" mbp, i had them exchange it 'cause i thought the lights on the back lit keys looked off.

4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

We all paid a premium for these machines, we should not expect a single mark or scratch or else they should exchange it for free.

Don't accept anything less than perfect for what it's worth.

5. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

i really would like to go back into the store and show them, but i don't know if its worth the hassle and looking like a weirdo complaining about something so small and not super noticeable haha

plus i have a samsung ssd!

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Are you certain its not some embedded crud? I would try using something like a Mr. Clean magic eraser which is non-abrasive to clean it off. I have see Goo-Gone clean up some pretty resistant markings. However I would not use the Goo-Gone without first testing somewhere on the underside first.

Consider the worst case scenario that a swapped unit would have the toshiba ssd. Which flaw would you prefer? Visual flaw will surely be an easy exchange but complaining about getting a toshiba ssd will not likely get you a second new unit.

7. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

i think i'm going to try the mr. clean thing or something of the sort first.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I would definitely take it back!
    Oh and whats the difference between the samsung and toshiba ssd?

9. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

idk if a whole lot really i just have seen that samsung is better

10. Abs1nth3 macrumors newbie

Should work if you use some aluminum polish as well.

Remember these are not painted, they're machined aluminum that is then sandblasted to the desired finish. This makes it extremely durable and easy to clean/de grease

11. VMMan macrumors 6502a

It bothers you enough to post on a forum. I think you should return it for a new one.

12. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Exchange it. I kind of like having an "off" thing like this on my laptops - makes it feel personal - but I know that most people want a perfect machine. You paid for it - go get it.

13. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

weird thats kinda how i was feeling too

14. Kyllle macrumors 6502

You don't have to tell them why you want to return it, as long as you're within 14 days from buying it. Just bring it in, say you want to return it, then buy another one.

15. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

I've done this before. It's your money and someone will end up with a perfect refurb.

16. marrzie macrumors regular

Take it back. Post à pic please. Also be careful if you try to clean it. MBA is not sandblasted, at least not the final step. It is anodized which is where the aluminum is placed in à chemical that causes it to anodize. Basically its like the aluminum rusts corrodes which chemically changes the surface layer to be much harder and much more durable than raw aluminum. I might not have this perfect but it gives you à general idea.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Since it's anodized, does that mean that if I cook an egg on the underside when the CPU heats up to 205 degrees, it will slide right off? :D

Seriously, though, if you're not happy with it, take it back. There shouldn't be physical flaws fresh out of the box.

18. jcocchiaro macrumors newbie

sweaty palms!

I just purchased my MBA, and I'm kinda a neat freak with regards to my palm rest and keyboard ...any fingerprint marks, or marks on the palm rest will make me a little uneasy.

I've started to review some protective products that cover both the keys, and the palm rest. But, I'd rather NOT use anything; I do not want to alter the design or feel of the MBA, in any way. Than again, I also want to maintain the machine in like new condition.

I'm particularly concerned about leaving a mark on the right palm rest area. For whatever reason -- given the way I type -- my palm constantly pushes up against the aluminum and occasionally will leave behind some moisture.

Has anyone used the MBA for (at least) few months and ever had an issue with palm marks?

Is the aluminum surface really that easy to clean?

How about the black keys?

Thanks!!

BTW, I agree with others - RETURN that MBA. That's unacceptable. One of the reasons we purchase these products is because with do not expect flaws, whether that be internal or external.

19. radardude macrumors newbie

radardude

Mark on brand new macbook air

How far do you live from the store that you bought it?