Mark on screen of new Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmunto11, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jmunto11 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just recieved my new Retina and love it but I've just noticed a mark on the top left of the screen. It's not actually on the screen but on the glossy black frame.

It's actually a tiny chip in the glass but thinking about it I'm not sure if it's a tiny groove for a mic etc or if it is genuinely a tiny chip on the glass.

Anyone with a retina notice this or am I just unlucky? :(

[​IMG]

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Manufacturing imperfection. It's unfortunate, but is it that noticeable using the laptop?

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I don't have that on mine, i'd recommend calling Apple. They will swap it out for you but you might have to wait a few weeks for a replacement.

4. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Swap it. There's one on mine but on the screen itself. I thought it was a dead pixel until I brought it in the store. If it doesn't bother you, then keep it, but when it comes to multiple thousand dollar products I have very little tolerance for imperfections.

5. jmunto11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, when you spend that amount of money it should be perfect.

I'll give Apple a call

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Agreed that you should call up Apple. Also, perhaps consider changing the title to reflect bezel.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Personally I wouldn't return it if they said you had to wait weeks for a replacement, unless it was really obvious.

8. afterafx macrumors member

Why not? You spend a couple grand on it, you will probably want it for the years to come. I rather wait couple weeks, then have a chip on my screen until I replace the computer.

9. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Like I said, depends on how obvious it is. If I didn't really notice it without looking, it'd be less annoying than being without an awesome new computer for weeks :p

10. maretus macrumors newbie

Apples Q/A has really been slipping. This is the first upgrade cycle around that I've had to exchange multiple macs for cosmetic damage right out of the box. I finally settled for one that still has a scratch on the lid, but its only noticeable from close up. Still though, $2300 bucks and you'd think they'd tell whoever handles these things to use kid gloves.

I'm confident that you could find damage on every single macbook coming out of the factory if you look close enough. I'm finally coming to terms with the fact, that its pretty much impossible to get a perfect unit without exchanging 10 times.

So, it comes down to what is acceptable to you. That on the screen/bezel would be a big HELL NO for me. That's right where you look the entire time you're using the computer. Not to mention it may get bigger, turn into a crack. And the display on the retina mac isn't cheap to replace. Probably half the price of the computer.

11. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

At those prices I'd send it back for replacement so fast it would make your head spin. "Awesome new computer" or not, having to force myself not to notice such as obvious imperfection is totally unacceptable. I'd rather wait for a replacement or obtain a refund and purchase again a few months down the road. Being one of the first to have the "latest and greatest" right after release date is not that important to me.

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Well it's obvious as the OP has zoomed in. Don't know what it would look like from a normal distance.

13. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Yep I agree and you should do that :)
    Where did you get it from? Apple Store?

14. axlvtt macrumors member

Return it. If you pay the kind of cash you do for Apple products, you should expect a device without any cosmetic flaws when you first get it.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Noticeable or not is not the issue as I see it. Does the imperfection irritate the OP, in other words does it bother him and his eyes go right to it?

Well if the answer is yes, then by all means return, provided you're willing to wait another 3 to 4 weeks

16. klover macrumors 6502a

17. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Zoomed in or not it's a problem for the purchaser and he should return it. Bottom line is we all lived without a retina MBP for years and now we are suddenly willing to make ourselves ignore an imperfection if it means having to wait 3-4 weeks to get our hands on another one?

Thank you sir. Your argument drives right to the core of my point. Quite logical I might add.

18. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Well, there probably isn't a "we", just me haha. I just know if I had hold of one, I'd hate to let it go again. It's easier to wait a little longer if you haven't had it to miss it. :p