Mark on the socket on iMac retina?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by abley22, Nov 22, 2014.

1. abley22, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014

abley22 macrumors member

Hi!

Just got a new iMac retina, first time i plug in the socket to the wall it flashed blue when i connect it, just took it out and take a closer look and i find a littlebit mark/scratch on the edge to the left on the crome.
    It dosn't Flash blue the second time i plug it in..

Is this normal or could it take damage to the computer?
    I added 3 pics in here so you could see what i talking about :)

Happy for reply.

Attached Files:

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Could be the power supply charging up after being off for a long time. It wouldn't hurt to replace your wall outlet, if it's very old.

3. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

It is about 5 year but it have almost never been used more than the last year

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Senseless is correct. The iMac's power supply capacitors would be completely discharged, and there's an in-rush current when connected to AC, that could spark and pit the chrome plating. Even if the iMac is turned off, the +5 volt standby power is always active when connected to AC power. A spark is most likely to occur if the connection is made during the few milliseconds when the AC cycle is at or near it's peak voltage. Odds are that most times this does not occur. If you frequently disconnect your iMac from AC power, a switched power bar would prevent this pitting.

5. abley22 thread starter macrumors member

Hi and thank you for the respond, i`m not so really good on english but you mean that senseless= have anything to say?

Yes that explane it, i don't disconnect it more but it was new yesterday and like you said it is discharged.
    Could this sparkle hurt it or should i change the power cable? Or have it nothing to say to have a mark on it? It not only the crome that is gone on the spot but littlebit material also.
    Goes slightly inward/a small notch into the metal.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

By "senseless", I meant the poster named senseless.

No, that pit in the plug's chrome will not hurt anything. If you disconnect your iMac from the power socket frequently, it's best to use a power bar.