Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced that Mark Papermaster will begin work at Apple as Senior Vice President of Devices Hardware Engineering on April 24th, 2009.Apple today announced that Mark Papermaster will be coming to Apple as senior vice president of Devices Hardware Engineering, reporting to Apple CEO Steve Jobs, on April 24. Papermaster, who comes to Apple from IBM, will lead Apple's iPod and iPhone hardware engineering teams.Papermaster was recruited to Apple from IBM in October 2008, but IBM filed a lawsuit to block the hiring, claiming that Papermaster had violated his employment contract with IBM by leaving to work for a competitor. A U.S. District Court judge issued an injunction in early November that has prevented Papermaster from beginning work at Apple until the lawsuit was resolved.

In today's press release, Apple reports that the litigation between Papermaster and IBM has been resolved, clearing the way for Papermaster to assume his position at Apple. Papermaster replaces former iPod Division chief Tony Fadell, who stepped down in early November 2008, although he remains an advisor to Apple.

Article Link: Mark Papermaster to Begin Work at Apple on April 24th

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Cool.

First thing he does - multi-core iPhone and release it in a 32GB model?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
this a big deal...papermaster is now on the ranks of schiller and ivy. will he join the speaker circuit as well?

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
this just came across my screen:

IBM SAYS PAPERMASTER TO CERTIFY IN JULY, HE COMPLIED WITH LEGAL OBLIGATIONS NOT TO USE OR DISCLOSE IBM'S CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY INFORMATION

to which steve will show him:

Attachments

• jobs-ibm-finger.jpg
    jobs-ibm-finger.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 3,004

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Apple, the PA Semi acquisition, and Papermaster will soon show us even greater products for the evolving Apple ecosystem.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
isn't paper kinda an old medium for apple to get into. they should have hired john softwaremaster. or john netbookmaster. or john iphonewithmmsandcopypastemaster. or udatedmacminimaster. or . . .

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Looks like the case is dismissed on October 29, 2009 if Mark Papermaster doesn't break the non-disclosure he is re signing a couple times.

But the whack on his nose those couple times will allow him to begin work in April.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I love apple and this sounds good for them. But what's the point of those agreements you sign saying you won't work for the competition? Do they not matter if you "really really want to"?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't get me wrong, I love apple and this sounds good for them. But what's the point of those agreements you sign saying you won't work for the competition? Do they not matter if you "really really want to"?

Pretty much vanquished as soon as he moves to California (the courts tend to toss them there), which is where the last page (page 5) he is required to sign from this decision comes in.

When the judge says, sign this and go to work ... do you?

Attachments

• SignthisMark.jpg
    SignthisMark.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 444

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007

No they are supposed to have a meaning. Its sort of like a couple saying "we won't use protection I.E. a condom UNLESS both parties can be faithful to one another and not stray (lol, best example I could come up with). Papermaster had access to some very privileged information, some of which he gleaned with his own hands but while one IBM's tab. There is no point in investing in an employee if he takes the goods elsewhere.

=MuLti-CeLL=

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
m0biLe
I'm gonna do a little research on the guy later when I get home but the way you all are talking about him, this must be a bad BAD MAN!

Ya know...

...escpecially if he's gonna give me my quadcore, 5mp, 32gb, double RAM iPhone 3G just a short two months after he's been working there!

:D

SummerBoy

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
Mars
Who said MS is dead ?

They are richest largest company in the world.

If you ask someone do you know ms apple

everyone would recognize ms but apple? Nope

Ms also spared apple from bankrupt way back. Apple have no shame.

Going against company that saved then .. Sigh

send2frank

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
IBM the company you love to hate

So Typical of IBM to show its FannyMae whenever possible. MP got a better job at a better company.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
uh, no

Who said MS is dead ?

They are richest largest company in the world.

If you ask someone do you know ms apple

everyone would recognize ms but apple? Nope

Ms also spared apple from bankrupt way back. Apple have no shame.

Going against company that saved then .. Sigh

Summerboy,

Dude, you are a bit mixed up. Apple wasn't "saved" by MS, though they did at the time sign an agreement where MS would continue development and sales of Office for Mac for a period of 5 years (still going...) and that Apple would waive its lawsuit against MS for stealing Quicktime technology. As well, MS invested $150 M into Apple to show that they were serious about the relationship, though they cashed that out, with a nice profit, many years ago.

Steve Jobs and NEXT technology and personnel saved Apple. To bad Ballmer is killing MS.

tom

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Isn't anyone else wondering why he's reporting to Steve Jobs if Steve's not returning until the summer? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.