Marketing gimmick or Practical working hourse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lscangus, Dec 29, 2008.

1. lscangus macrumors 6502

One of the thing reli borders me is the attitude when apple is making this Macbook pro product. I was just thinking... you know the new MBP is very very thin. But is it that important to be so thin? Will it be a bit more sensible to make it slightly thinker, but with better cooling, a more durable case and less fragile? coz apparently, the fan of the unibody MBP is quite noisy when under load. Will you sacrifice like 2-3mm for a better cooled system? or even a system with faster graphics?

it is all seemed that apple has created so many gimmick for this computer which actually doesn't do any good in terms of the usage of the computer?

And one of the things i though about is you know the MBP, after you opened it, there are quite a few left over spaces around the CD-ROM, will it be better to put the harddrive there, and then we can have the whole bottom section as the battery? it seems they have taken the "easy swap" harddrive a little bit too far.. i mean i guess no one will swap their harddrive so frequently.. As the battery life on the new unibody MBP is very very disappointing

just a thought. Please leave comments. This is a discussion thread. Not attacking apple or anyone.

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

If you've ever had to change a HDD in the old MBP or PB, you will know it is endless screws to undo. Not to mention, if you have warrenty on it, you can't do itself without voiding it.

So having a user changeable HDD is a very handy feature.

3. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, but they can put it inside the enclosure with the ram.

4. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

This is a horrible self-perpetuating rumor. Replacing the HDD, while difficult, does NOT void the warranty.. Unless you screw something else up in the process.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

actually its not even difficult, even a trained monkey could do it, and your right, it DOES NOT void the warranty, i dont know who started that roumer but 10% of the treads in this place must degrade down into an argument about it

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

My unibody MBP is much more quite than my friends previous gen MBP.

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I thought this, too. Actually, I did a perfect HDD install on my MBP 3,1, and only when I finally admitted it to the tech (serviced for another problem unrelated) did he inform me that, had I told him earlier, they would not have done the service because it technically voided my warranty. What I suspect is that the answer is totally ambiguous within Apple, even. They exercise it when it's convenient for them to. This is why I didn't bring it up immediately with the tech (it's a ridiculous policy).

1. The thinness doesn't matter as much as the weight and the fact that these unibodies are far sturdier than older MBPs, MBs, PBs, and most PCs. Just handle the unibody with one hand to see.

2. My fan here is no noisier under load than my MBP 3,1. However, it does idle at 2k rpm instead of 1.8k rpm.

3. Regarding the comment about extra space: while it's conceivable that the space could be filled, have you done any digital board design? Those who have would appreciate fully how difficult the design process of a laptop really is. It's not as trivial as "add a chip," etc. (in ref. to the MB FW thread).

4. The battery life on the new MBP is far better than my 3,1. I get 4-5 hrs. in my normal workflow.

5. User installable HDD has been a large problem on the old design. Especially when it was so good in the old MBs, the MPs, and the Pismo. They've finally fixed this major design flaw.

6. The move to NVIDIA allowed for faster bus speeds and a step closer to speed symmetry in the machine. There's always been something about designs that utilize fewer chips that I think has appealed to Apple (from reading Revolution in the Valley). Additionally, using NVIDIA graphics cards is huge to their move to SL and taking advantage of OpenCL.

8. lscangus thread starter macrumors 6502

Pick up a ThinkPad and you will know how sturdy it is.
    Pick up your MBp will bent it
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1780318&tstart=0

With a thicker enclosure, i think it will be possible to fit the harddrive into the mainbody i guess.

During heavy load, the fan spins at 5000rpm, the noise is killing me

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Apple has always been obsessed with design. It's part of what attracted people to their products and the beautiful operating system. Their new thing appears to be promoting the "greenest" computers on the market. I think that a 1/4" here or there would not effect their bottom line if it allowed the notebook to operate more efficiently. Just look at how large the case of the MacPro is, we rarely hear complaints about it's design. It reminds me of the Apple representative when asked about the 3G iPhone, he asked if we took their advertising for the fastest network seriously.:rolleyes: You've got to filter out the fact from the hype.

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have a 17" MBP and the new unibody runs much cooler the fan is silent and it one of the most sturdy machines I have handled. I get approx 4-4.5 hours usage between charges and I love being able to change the HDD quickly shame about the ram, as screws are a pain even with the right tools. It was easy before but the first time was always a bit nerve racking. If you really do not like them that much then stick to windows machine or better yet your think pad.

The design of the new machines is stunning, if a new 17" unibody comes out I am buying one.