Marketplace access

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by barnetda, Aug 5, 2008.

1. barnetda macrumors regular

Is there any way the Marketplace section can be chaqnged so that posters with less than 250 posts can access the forum.

I understand that the Marketplace is restricted and i can appreciate to advertise one should have these sort of restrictions in an attempt to stop scams.

However why restrict buyers? Surely the more buyers the better. I will be in the market for mac hardware shortly and would like to see what is available here.

As an example i have been a member for a year but only have 60 posts. The reason my posts are low is because i am not as techie minded as others and tend to ask newbie type questions. I do try and help where i can but there is no way i can get my posts to 250 without meaningless posts.

I wonder if the site owners will reconsider?

thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I imagine no: the changes were made for carefully considered reasons.

Oh, and putting some text in bold twice in unlikely to make it extra bold :)

3. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Do not question the all powerful site admins. :p

For real though, the idea is so not just anyone can sign up and scam people. The admins decided that 250 was a good enough amount to establish a reputation on the forums.

If you want, there is more information here.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

Doctor Q did a good job explaining it here. The previous marketplace was a complete mess, and the transactions on the new one are going much better.

5. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry didnt mean to double bold!!

I fully understand and respect the reasons.

I agree from the selling side. Just think from the buying side its so restrictive.

As a genuine buyer i will not be able to participate in the marketplace as i am unable to get to 250 posts without wasting everyones time.

6. stewartlittle macrumors regular

I agree as well. I dont post too often because it would be wasting space. Granted i havent been on here as long as others, but after 6 months or a year, one should be able to enter. Until then, i guess our only solution is to post pointless items. Such as me writing a response here .. haha

7. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Just post irrelevant comments for the next 10+ days and you'll get up to 250 posts.....I've been on since 2004 and did that so I could attempt to sell my G5 on the marketplace (to no avail so thanks Craigslist). I've got a 320 rating on ebay with 100% positive but now can't see the marketplace......Hmm. That's one less post I need to break into 250.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Anyone caught doing this will find themselves banned altogether.

Reasons for the changes were well thought out over a good period of time based on the history of problems from that forum, these reasons were explained at length. They are not about to be changed.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The market place is not a reason to sign up to MR. That is a perk that you get after the fact. If you are using this site just to buy and sell things you are here for the wrong reasons.

10. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I don't recall asking for a change nor arguing against the reasons. At least, I don't think I did.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes but you did suggest others to break the rules which is what e's post refers to and also your post did say something else before you editted as well.

12. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

you are wrong in saying that there was an edit. It does not exist. I would suggest you pay closer attention to who wrote what as i believe you are confused.

However. You are right in saying I suggested breaking the rules in posting useless posts (although how can anyone explain how there are people on the site that have thousands of posts-I'm sure they are useless to some). So I recant my first statement and will say "do not break the rules". Just post useful posts to get up to 250. Good night

13. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

I signed up more than a year ago. I didnt sign up to get access to marketplace.

I may be in the market shortly for a MAcPro and wanted to see if there was anything here of interest.
    I accept its a perk and its not Ebay, all i was doing was asking if there was a way to rethink the ruling for BUYERS not sellers.

Obviously there isnt so i will wait a year or so and try and get my posts up without wasting peoples time.

For the record this is a great site.

14. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

the 250 posts is all good but the 6 months is KILLING me.

How about 2 or 3??

15. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

The Mods choose those requirements for specific reasons. Don't try to understand just appreciate that they are trying to make things safer and easier.