Marketplace activity?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by svenn, Feb 12, 2011.

1. svenn macrumors 6502

I know this exclusive club requires 6 months and 250 posts, so I am half way there. What I am curious about is how much activity does it get? I would like to purchase used rather than new, so is it a good idea for me to step up my postings to gain access, or is it not worth it and I should focus my efforts elsewhere?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be careful about this. From the Forum Rules:

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are typically hundreds of actives threads in the Marketplace forum each month. That's nothing like the millions of items for sale at dedicated sale and auction sites. The tradeoff is that the MacRumors Marketplace is specific to our Apple-focused user community and that the participating members are people you may feel you know from shared forum participation. I think of it like Mac OS X software vs. Windows software: less quantity, better quality. :)

If you continue participating in whichever MacRumors discussion threads you find interesting, you'll be eligible for the Marketplace eventually but not right away. You can take advantage of the Marketplace when you gain access, and rely on the more heavily trafficked auction sites in the meantime.

4. EazyWeazy3 macrumors 6502

I finally just reached the requirements myself.

Frequent the community and picture forums. There are threads in there for everyone from sports to movies to politics. A few posts a day and you should reach the 250 in no time.

If you force it, it will seem like forever, but forget about it, post here and there, and you'll have 250 before you know it.

Good luck!

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think you should just carry on normally as you usually would participating in the forums, rather than making posts just so you can gain access to the marketplace. Personally I wouldn't want to annoy anyone, but it's up to you.

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i hate those "+1" comments but they are not deleted very often. could it be possible to make a bot or something that deletes the posts automatically? I mean the forum spy could work as some kind of a scanner and the bot just deletes those posts. I really don't know much about programming and website maintaining but i think that shouldn't be that hard.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

That would be nice, but for now try to report those posts, that's what I usually do.
    For the OP, it's pretty active and I've bought a few things off of there. Just post anythime you have something to say about a topic and you will get to the required number of posts quickly.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

We handle them as we see them, but with so many threads and posts, we don't always catch them. We rely on members to report them so we can do the necessary clean up. A +1 post is a no-brainer for a Moderator to handle.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We might in fact have deleted 90% of the "+1" posts and you're still seeing the 10% that weren't reported. Any single "+1" post is at worst a minor annoyance, but people post way too many of them. I don't know the real percentage that we remove but it includes every one that's reported. We can't estimate how many we don't know about.

Yes, it would be possible technically, but we don't have the software for it at the moment.

10. svenn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, essentially confirmed what I thought.

RE the +1 replies, perhaps implementing a minimum character requirement per post? But then you see replies like this...

+1
    (10 chars)

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, out of the mouths of babes... ;)

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I was ecstatic when I became eligible for the marketplace. I remember it meant that I proved to myself that I had finally left my newb-hood and entered into 6502-land. But look at me now! I have nearly 1200 posts @ ~4.5 posts per day. I consider myself to be quite active. My next goal: macrumors 68000 (1500 posts).

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That is endless. I remember when I was trying hard to get 500 posts and an avatar. Now I'm at over 16 000 posts and looking forward to enter the G-land. And no, I don't post just to get my post count bigger.