marketplace

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by riveting, Oct 18, 2011.

1. riveting macrumors 6502

Never saw a marketplace forum there, does that requires you have sort of privilege to see the post there?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

why both?

why encourage pointless posting?

4. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

That's a good question. If you give MR 25$ does it then get you in?

5. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Becoming a demi-god/contributor does not let you access the marketplace forum if you do not fulfill the other criteria.

The posting requirement is in place so that potential buyers and sellers can see someone's history on the site and use it to make a better decision on whether they think someone is trustworthy.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No one is encouraging pointless posting, and posts made only to raise your post count will be removed.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

How do you tell apart a post that offers no information or opinion and one only made to raise a post count?

There is plenty of pointless posting especially in the news threads.

I'm going to need a bit more convincing that this policy doesn't increase the likelihood of pointless posting.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are a lot of ways, however, the easiest to spot are typically one-word posts (that don't answer a question), "I agree", or +1.

Also, it is easy to spot someone who is trying to boot their post count, as they will have a lot of short, semi-on-topic posts in a relatively short period - like they want to comment, but don't really have anything substantial to say.

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Do they really?

I remember a user a few months ago replied to almost 50 threads that have been dormant for more than 3-4 years just to raise their post count, and all he got was a Time Out but kept all of his useless posts.

Once the user achieved their 500th post, he/she stopped.

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

MacRumors is a community, not a marketplace like Craig's List or eBay
    Sharing in a marketplace is one of the side privileges afforded to active members of the community

As stated, users who spam the boards to increase post count for access to the Marketplace or for access to an avatar are addressed accordingly
    That does not mean every user who does so is seen by the moderators
    We rely on other users to report such activities as well

11. riveting thread starter macrumors 6502

250 posts do not sounds easy, see I am here for about 2 year and a half, asked lots of questions, and reads lots of thread, just didn't post much, still not there yet. :eek:

----------

I agree, lol

----------

Ok, seriously, I didn't disagree with the policy. But I kind of feel it would be better to allow everyone to check the threads in market place, but set this requirement for people in order to post on marketplace. For a while, I thought there is no marketplace in macrumor forum.

For a buyer who usually pay first before things are shipped, I don't think seller is very concerned with who the buyers are.

12. Des Zac macrumors regular

While we're on this topic, does anyone have link to the thread about requirements, the one that tells you x posts = x rank and requirements for cetrain boards?

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s