Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
People (self included) have been slammed by moderators for offering to sell, or in my case give away Apple gear. These activities we are told must take place in some mythical "Marketplace Forum", that it appears no one has access to nor knows of sames existence. I acknowledge that those who run the boards control the content, and that for some unfathomable reason a select group sees the need to do closed commerce in private. Could not an OPEN marketplace forum be established within perhaps the collectors forum? Would this not serve some need while still affording the (apparently much needed) privacy of the current closed marketplace forum?

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
People (self included) have been slammed by moderators for offering to sell, or in my case give away Apple gear. These activities we are told must take place in some mythical "Marketplace Forum", that it appears no one has access to nor knows of sames existence. I acknowledge that those who run the boards control the content, and that for some unfathomable reason a select group sees the need to do closed commerce in private. Could not an OPEN marketplace forum be established within perhaps the collectors forum? Would this not serve some need while still affording the (apparently much needed) privacy of the current closed marketplace forum?

in order to get access to the marketplace you need to have 250 posts ( if i remember correctly)

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
The 250 post requirement for the marketplace is there to prevent hit and run sellers who scam people. (I also think it's a minimum of 6 months as a MR member also) Having another marketplace with no requirements wouldn't help anyone and would be a disaster, IMO.

Once you reach MR's requirements, the Marketplace appears in the list of forums like any other forum.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
The 250 post requirement for the marketplace is there to prevent hit and run sellers who scam people. (I also think it's a minimum of 6 months as a MR member also) Having another marketplace with no requirements wouldn't help anyone and would be a disaster, IMO.

Once you reach MR's requirements, the Marketplace appears in the list of forums like any other forum.

Well, I guess I need another 90 posts before I can give away some stuff and clear off a shelf.

Orange Crane

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Well, I guess I need another 90 posts before I can give away some stuff and clear off a shelf.
Throwing/giving stuff away is not that difficult. Since we all have the same internet I'm sure you've heard of Craigslist free section as well as free cycle. There is also the option of the local dump. Etc. etc. The only reason to be butt hurt about not being able to instantly access the marketplace of one website is that you intend to scam people.
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides
Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months).

If you start a "for sale" thread or make other Marketplace-type posts in another forum to avoid the minimum requirements, your thread/posts will be deleted.

This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Throwing/giving stuff away is not that difficult. Since we all have the same internet I'm sure you've heard of Craigslist free section as well as free cycle. There is also the option of the local dump. Etc. etc. The only reason to be butt hurt about not being able to instantly access the marketplace of one website is that you intend to scam people.
https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Butthurt? Dropping a stack of perfectly good motherboards in a landfill would be I think poor planet management. Assuming that someone attempting to do good is a scammer is I think quite sad, though I suppose in this cold cruel world understandable. My only thoughts were that someone attempting to restore early Macs might find these useful. I did send boards from other manufacturers to the recycler, including some early kaypro boards. I just couldn't bring myself to have the Apple stuff destroyed. Call me a sentimental old fool, but not a scammer. Oh, the Apple boards are on Craigslist, for a premium price though. If you can find them and know my macrumor username you can have them all for free assuming you pick them up.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
250 posts/ 6 months is a stretch..

I would love to give someone a deal on a computer i just picked up that doesnt suit my needs.

should just offer an option of local pick up only.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
250 posts/ 6 months is a stretch..

I would love to give someone a deal on a computer i just picked up that doesnt suit my needs.

should just offer an option of local pick up only.

At the rate I post I figure I have about a year to go to hit that 250 posts. <sigh>

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011

I remember a scammer scamming someone on this forum for a late or early 17" 2011" Macbook Pro which the seller wanted £900 for a 17" MBP, a bit too good to be true anyway. It sucks that this happens though sometimes...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This topic has been discussed at great length numerous times over the years and the leadership of the forum decided on these rules, 250 posts + 6 months membership to have access to the Marketplace. I do not believe there is anything more anyone could say to get changes to the rule.

The Marketplace is a perk for members in good standing who also participate regularly in the forums. It's meant to be this way to help mitigate abuse and potential scammers from coming here and using/abusing other members.

If someone wants access, get your post count with quality discussion, and wait the 6 months. :)

lowbelly

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I've been a longtime lurker but I want in that marketplace, dangit! I'm running around trying to post as much quasi-relevant stuff as I can (like this right now!) but I've got soo far to go.

El Salvador

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
NL Yo
Nothing wrong with a 6 months timeframe. Heck, I even prefer a longer timeframe like a year or something. 250 post however is a lot for people like me who don't post very often but are active on this forum for several years. But then again, it's a very good way of keeping most scammers away from the marketplace.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.