Marking as read in osx mail but remain as unread in server

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by horus7, Sep 9, 2013.

1. horus7 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I'm kinda new in the mac community, but I have a problem that I can't solve and thought that someone here could help me. I think its the opposite of the common "my mail app isn't syncing right"...

I have a mail account from gmail set up in mail, that is shared with a couple of co-workers and some of them use gmail on the web but I really like to use the osx mail app. The problem is that when I read the messages that come from that gmail account, it automatically marks them as "read" on the server and everyone else sees them on their browsers as "read"...obviously...and so, they can't keep up with what messages they have or haven't read yet.

Question, is there any way that I can configure the mail app to not sync the "read" or "unread" marker in the gmail server?

We thought that we could solve this by automatically forwarding all mail from that account to our personal emails, but apparently gmail can only forward to one address...

Thanks in advance

Best regards

2. alkalifly macrumors regular

alkalifly

You could enable POP for the gmail account, and set up your the Mail application on your Mac to retrieve email using POP. This will make your Mac Mail client simply retrieve the messages from the server, so anything you do on your end (marking messages as read, moving messages to folders, or deleting messages) will not affect anything outside of your computer. It also means that any messages you send will not save to the Sent folder on the server, which may or may not be desirable. Check out https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en for details