Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsg1010

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
So I had a replacement phone provided by the Genius Bar last week and noticed these tiny white dots developing on the back of my iPhone 7 Plus matte black. I have it inside of a Apple leather case and take it out usually two/three times a day to clean any dust or debris.

My old original matte black iPhone 7 didn't show these types of marks/spots. Anyone else with these developing?

I'm incredibly careful with all my devices and never had a issue like this before on any previous iPhone and I am meticulous about how I care for my devices.

Curious how prevalent this issue.

I've attached a image, not of my phone but one that is similar to what is showing on mine. I don't have it as bad as the picture yet but I wonder if this is some issue with the manufacturing process.

VdJneEE.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I had a replacement phone provided by the Genius Bar last week and noticed these tiny white dots developing on the back of my iPhone 7 Plus matte black. I have it inside of a Apple leather case and take it out usually two/three times a day to clean any dust or debris.

My old original matte black iPhone 7 didn't show these types of marks/spots. Anyone else with these developing?

I'm incredibly careful with all my devices and never had a issue like this before on any previous iPhone and I am meticulous about how I care for my devices.

Curious how prevalent this issue.

I've attached a image, not of my phone but one that is similar to what is showing on mine. I don't have it as bad as the picture yet but I wonder if this is some issue with the manufacturing process.

View attachment 715364

There have been other threads that some protective cases have caused a reaction with the matte black finish. I'm not saying that's in your situation, but some of these other third-party cases (silicone) caused white spots to appear. Being you just received it from the Genius Bar, I would contact Apple and see if they would allow a replacement in your situation.

natalie1981

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Sorry i was going to start a new thread but then i saw this. Were you able to clean or remove the spots? My matte black iphone 7 plus, red one and my husband's jet black one developed something exactly like this. It's not scratch or paint peeling off it looks like stains which is visible under lighting. I tried alcohol, water with baking soda but it won't come off.

Here's someone with the same problem at Apple's discussion forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7795855?start=0&tstart=0

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Sorry i was going to start a new thread but then i saw this. Were you able to clean or remove the spots? My matte black iphone 7 plus, red one and my husband's jet black one developed something exactly like this. It's not scratch or paint peeling off it looks like stains which is visible under lighting. I tried alcohol, water with baking soda but it won't come off.

Here's someone with the same problem at Apple's discussion forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7795855?start=0&tstart=0
I saved my 7 Plus in the nick of time before something as ghastly as that happened. The issue is that the paint on the 7 Plus reacts with silicone cases. Always use a plastic glass case or an Apple leather case.

THere is no way to remove those spots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.