Mars Phoenix has landed!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, May 27, 2008.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Didnt see this during a search:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/news/phoenix-20080525b.html

230206main_9227-PHX_Lander.jpg
    How cool is that! Millions of miles away, and we have a shot of it landing. :D

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/phoenix/main/index.html

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Now, lets seem them justify the taxes being used for this endeavor and get something useful. :confused:

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They want water, absolutely.

Anything after that is a bonus.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So cool! The space program is one of the few things on which our taxes are being well spent. The resulting technologies alone make it well worth it. Can't wait to more pics and discoveries.

5. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Gee for $427M we should throw them a tickertape parade considering they got the thing down there without wrapping it up in bouncing balloons for a change, and it phoned home right away, never even lost the signal while descending, posed for pics by one of the orbiters on the way down... And so many of the other tries had either fried or crashed. I say kudos to Univ of Arizona, Lockheed Martin, NASA-JPL, did I leave anyone out? Wel... us, for supporting it.

What are we spending in Iraq now as "emergency appropriations" again? Per month? Not to jack this thread but it's nuts that the cost of Iraq stays so background to us in the adult generations that have allowed this conflict to unfold as it has. At least with Vietnam and the tax surcharge we knew what to grumble about, it was on our paystub every week. Pay as you go, duh.

Now if they'd put the little Phoenix lander on my paystub in the tax takeout column, I'd smile at paying my share. There's around 300 million of us, so 427 / 300 is not too big a hit anyway. Two pay cycles and it's paid for!

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Finally, a NASA Phoenix mission. They might finally prove we have intelligent life here! (But no water, sorry)

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's one of the coolest and most significant photos ever taken. Think about it.

A spacecraft built by humans orbiting another planet taking a picture of another spacecraft we built landing on that planet.

More stuff about it here:
    http://digg.com/space/MRO_captures_pic_of_Phoenix_Lander_DURING_LANDING

Also, another amazing picture taken by the MRO of Opportunity
    http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/10/06/best-mars-picture-evah/

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Haven't even gotten past the 1st paragraph yet. Is this right?

It takes 15 minutes for light to travel from Earth to Mars? 300,000,000 km/s * 900 seconds (15 minutes) = 270 million km.

Yeah, and I love how people complain about the cost of these missions. That's how much you Americans spend in an afternoon in Iraq. :p This is far more interesting.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Possible, as Mars' distance from Earth varies between 57.9 million km to 402.3 million km (the largest variance between Earth and any other planet).

11. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The space program is THE only good use of taxes (barring social things that "the people" need) and it was, and still is, always in flux in terms of financing its missions.

And why?

So we can stay here on Earth forever? WTF for?

Bill Hicks had the right idea:

Humans need to move on, proliferate among the stars...and honestly, why havent we gone further yet? Oh, because we spend money on stuff that keeps us grounded and stuck here... :confused:

12. HDhead macrumors newbie

Actually, this may be the most significant extraterrestrial photo ever taken by Phoenix or any other man made space probe. It features a little but naked man standing on a Martian rock. :D

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Considering we exist the Universal equivalent of a fruit fly, this might prove somewhat difficult.

Let's not work so hard making this planet disposable, just in case.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aI10wpl35qqY&refer=worldwide

I don't get it. I thought we already knew ice was on Mars. What is to confirm? Look at the pictures. Can't you see the ice cap on the satellite image????? :confused:

[​IMG]

15. veracity macrumors newbie

Well, personally, I just think the timing is fabulous. Right now I'm taking Astronomy (which might change once we get midterm grades back). Of course, I tend to think knowing how the universe around us works is a good thing. I can't wait to watch this unfold.

16. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

The fact that most new advances in technology over the past 60 years have been the sole product of missions like these. I think that's enough said. Stop complaining the next time you have to have any medical work done that requires materials, knowledge, or methods that were in some way related to the US space program.

I mean apart from THAT... Why not? isn't it a part of our human nature to be curious about and pursue a quest to understand our universe? What if we had never been curious about whether the world really was flat or if it was round?

17. veracity macrumors newbie

Oh, dear. I suddenly envisioned learning all those epicycles that were used prior to the elliptical theory. That would bite to have to remember that for every Astronomy test. Geocentric model, no thanks.