Martin Landau RIP

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Peace, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The original mission Impossible star has died.

RIP Martin.

2. CodeRaven macrumors member

Aw man... I first saw him as Commander John Koenig of Moonbase Alpha... Space 1999.

CJK.jpg

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Space 1999, holy smokes, talk about going back with this one. Dang it, seems like the next couple of years we are going to be loosing a lot of the people we have grown up.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Saw him first in MI but really loved Space 1999...

5. vkd Suspended

vkd

So many technological advances but the death rate remains fixed at 100%.

6. sartrekid macrumors 6502

Loved his roles in North by North West and Columbo. He was a great actor. R.I.P.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I could not get into Space 1999 for some reason...I only made it through a few episodes. I tried watching it around 2010, though (I wasn't alive when it aired).

A few years ago I watched MI if only to see little-known Star Trek: TOS actors in other roles (MI was the same time/ studio). Landau's chameleon performances immediately drew me in. Ironically, I stopped watching not long after Nimoy entered the picture and Landau left. The show wasn't the same after that. :(

8. OcelotWreak macrumors member

OcelotWreak

Landau will be greatly missed. I first saw him in MI and it was obvious that he (almost gleefully) relished his role and the fun of transforming his face and persona into a new disguise to confuse, misdirect and defeat the enemy every week.

For another role he was stereotype cast into (but still owned and played with conviction) check out the episode of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - The Bat Cave Affair - where Landau plays, well, a caped Dracula-like character who is going to disrupt the world's transportation systems by releasing bats that will confuse radar systems around the world. It was both cheesy and delightful (and had a great musical score)!

His best role that I was totally in awe of was his leading performance in Woody Allen's Crimes and Misdemeanours.

RIP Martin!

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It would be hard to sit thru an episode today if you watched it for the first time. Back in the 1970s, it was much easier to watch. It just wasn't Star Trek level. I thought Season 2 had much better music and had more excitement than season 1. Season 1 music will put you to sleep.

10. jaknudsen macrumors member

jaknudsen

RIP! I just watched The X-Files : Fight the Future again, he did a great job in it.

upload_2017-7-28_9-24-22.png

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Been going through The Outer Limits on Hulu recently. Both of Landau's episodes were great, and, like Mission Impossible, I get a thrill seeing minor Star Trek: TOS actors make appearances.

If you're a sci-fi nerd it's a must-watch beacause of Harlan Ellison's two episodes. "Demon with a Glass Hand" in particular was a masterpiece, and has some great SF trivia: it was filmed in the Bradbury Building (of Blade Runner fame) and features the actress who played T'pring in Star Trek.

12. Larry-K macrumors 68000

"Demon with a Glass Hand" Starred Robert Culp, and the Bradbury Building.

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I always looked forward to his MI weekly series.