Marware vs. iSkin vs. Moshi keyboard covers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tyler23, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Stopped in at my local Apple store this evening while I was at the mall and picked up a Marware keyboard cover. They also offered iSkin covers, but they were $5 more.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Marware cover, although it can be a little frustrating when typing quickly..I'm wondering if I should go back, return the Marware cover and pick up the iSkin.

So, for those of you that have any of these or can give any help in comparing..which do you think is the best?

And yes, I did search and am aware threads like this exist..but I couldn't find any comparing all three, only iSkin vs. Moshi.

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I think because not too many people use the marware covers.

It seems that that Marware covers are silicone just like the iskin. A lot of people prefer the moshi (I do too) because they are not made out of silicone but an ultra thin TPU material. The cover is thinner, has less of a sticky feeling and appear cleaner after some use.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

Add another one for the Moshi. I bought mine online and gifted my iSkin away and haven't looked back. The difference is truly night and day, and as far as I know there's no other keyboard cover that comes close to the thinness and feel of the Moshi. I'm willing to bet that the Marware is very similar to the iSkin.

4. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well after one day of use, the Marware was completely dirty and sticky. It also didn't fit well around a few areas.

I went back to the Apple Store today and returned it. I'm a bit wary of getting another one, even the Moshi..but I may just have to do that.

Does it seem durable? Will it actually protect against a spill? Also, how is it in terms of type-ability? I'm a fast typer and the Marware really hindered my speed. Does it fit well?

5. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

There are plenty of reviews on it on the site. I suggest you do a search.

I personally like my moshi a lot and I none of my macbooks get used unless I have a moshi on the keyboard. It protects against spills provided you don't get any liquid underneathe or in the speakers. I type just fine on mine. I can imagine some hindrance, but when you weigh hindered typing versus oily keys and water damage, it is worth it to me. Fits very well.

[​IMG]

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

For what it's worth, while using my iSkin I felt quite hindered in my typing speed and it was something I just couldn't get used to. And while the Moshi is still noticeable over typing on a naked keyboard, it was minimal compared to the iSkin, I never felt it was a hindrance and I hardly notice it anymore.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Don't be fooled by how nice this moshi looks. It is probably brand new. Mine has endured about 3 months of 8-10hrs/day heavy use.

Top view without Moshi Clearguard (notice how nice the keys look; no wear/oil and no dust/crumbs):
    [​IMG]

Top view with Moshi Clearguard:
    [​IMG]

Side view without Moshi Clearguard (notice how nice the keys look; no wear/oil and no dust/crumbs):
    [​IMG]

Side view with Moshi Clearguard:
    [​IMG]

Moshi Clearguard on white surface (my old White MacBook) and notice it has turned green:
    [​IMG]

I washed it before taking these pictures with some water and hand-dishwashing detergent. I have tried removing the stains with everything; soap, dishwashing detergent, and rubbing alcohol with concentrations between 70% and 90%.

8. Gustavo macrumors newbie

Have you ever tried KB Covers?

I feel like I have tried them all, iSkin, Marware, zCover, Moshi...and hands down the winner in my book is a company called KB Covers. I found them at a local Mac reseller and checked out their website...they have so many it's crazy, many for applications with shortcuts (I have the Final Cut cover and one for Pro Tools), but there's are thinner and feel better than the ones I mentioned above.

I hated iSkin, Marware, and zCover...they are WAY too thick and don't feel right when typing, plus they left marks on my screen. The Moshi cover was really nice at first, but then it clouded up and I couldn't get it to uncloud after many washings. After a while it looked like crap...after like 2 months.

The KB Cover keyboard covers are super thin, have a very soft feel, and work better than the ones in the Apple store. I have no idea why they don't carry them, they should. Check them out at www.kbcovers.com.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I like the rubbery feel to the iSkin, but I definitely seem to be in the minority.