Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple debuted a new iPod + iTunes ad tonight on television. The ad continues the silhouette dancer theme of Apple's long running iPod ads. The ad is featured on Apple's iTunes product page. (direct QuickTime link)

mjb_300.png

The television ad promotes a new album called Growing Pains by Mary J Blige. Growing Pains is available for pre-order on iTunes ahead of its December 18th released date. The individual song, Work That, is also available now as a single.

Apple's use of songs in their television advertisements has clearly shown to be a boost for artists. Lesser known artist, Feist, recently saw significant exposure after 1234 was used in the newest iPod nano tv ad.

Article Link

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
We've come a long way baby!

Wow, watching that ad just makes me think how far these silhouette ads have come in just 6 short years. That ad looks really nice, and the colours and silhouette effect just looks fantastic. I guess it is in a very high resolution on the Apple site, but it just still looks a cut above the previous commercials.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
Yeah, this new commercial looks pretty cool
and it seems to be of alot higher quality than the past ones

The effects are off the chain :)

(It takes a little to get me excited, call it Job's Reality Distortion Field)

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
It's great that they display the name of the music at the end. Instead of wondering what that song was, viewers of the TV versions can find the songs much sooner.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
It's great that they display the name of the music at the end. Instead of wondering what that song was, viewers of the TV versions can find the songs much sooner.

I agree.

Also, this commerical has to be one of their best! Great animations (coolest I've seen from Apple) and a pretty good song. :)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Beautifully done ad but I don't like the music. It just doesn't do it for me like the past songs have. This one and that spanish one, lol.

But good job, still.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
yeah, another one for the "not too convinced about the song, but those effects are saturating me with pleasure" camp. :D

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
Anyone else notice that they used the 5G iPods, not the iPod Classic?

Yeah I sorta kinda maybe did thing is they look more or less the same when they silhouette them plus it looks better to have the iPod white in a silhouette then aluminum or black. I liked the ad though its a very nice improvement I'm also not to sure about the song but ad itself is great. EDIT: actually after watching that again I think that song goes perfect with the ad in everyway I think, overall though alone I'm not sure how I would feel about it.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
I like the commercial on the whole, but the dancing/movement felt wholly out of sync with the rhythm of the music. Maybe it was just me, but when it shows Mary J. Blige's solo scenes, it doesn't look like she's in tune with the song at all.

Maybe the camera is zoomed in too far, but she keeps bouncing in and out of the frame and it makes the entire motion seem out of sync. It almost gives me motion sickness.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
To be honest, I liked the old iPod ads better. Nothing against the song or singer, I just preferred when the ads were about the people using the iPods (ie, us), and not about the singer. I prefer the pure black silhouette, not the ones where you can see the person.

Merkuryy

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Shanghai, China
To be honest, I liked the old iPod ads better. Nothing against the song or singer, I just preferred when the ads were about the people using the iPods (ie, us), and not about the singer. I prefer the pure black silhouette, not the ones where you can see the person.

Agreed with your opinion to the silhouette. But the golden apple at the end was just cool, and you have to move to develop new kinds of ads. Like this one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.