Mary Travers (Peter, Paul, and Mary) dies at 72

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Sep 17, 2009.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This has been a really crappy year.. :(

Peter, Paul, and Mary were a little bit before my time, but everyone definitely has been influenced by them, especially in their childhood. Very sad to hear of this.

A toast with Puff the Magic Dragon playing in the backgound will be in order tonight. RIP.

BL.

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

It is sad, sad that I am showing my age. Sad all the same Mary is gone.

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Puff...what a great song...same with Leaving on Jet Plane..... Very sad year indead.

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

That is what's so great about recorded music you can hear the music long after the artists are gone. It will sound to you just like it did to millions of people back in the 60's when it was new and on the radio.

But you will not hear it in the context of the 60's so the social message is lost.

BTW the sound is very listenable, low key, acoustic folk based on vocal harmony. People are to this day recording covers of their songs.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

^^^ Ooooh, a fellow beach cities dweller! *waves* Hello!!!

How unfortunate that she has passed away. We are having one of their song's sung at our wedding later this year. Beautiful music.

7. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I used to hate songs like Puff the Magic Dragon and The Marvelous Toy - until I heard the original versions.

She was a great singer.