MAS apps and returns

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JohnDoe98, Jul 11, 2012.

1. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

*** Disclaimer ***: I do not intend to do this, I'm just curious really. I'm well beyond the return time on my RMBP so there is no worry here.

Alright, when I bought my new RMBP and received it in mid-June, the first thing that the MAS store did was associate the iLife suite to my Apple ID. What happens to people who return their computers in the 14day window? Does the Apple ID keep the iLife suite?

Might people be buying and returning Macs to get free updates to built-in software like Mountain Lion, Lion, iLife?

One would think Apple should guard against this.

Anyone who happens to know, do chime in.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Apps are tied to your AppleID, not the computer. I think that yes, people can do this, but I don't think Apple will stop it . . . it takes a lot of money to just save $40 to $50.

3. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Doesn't Apple charge a 15% restocking fee? If that's the case, then really, you don't get iLife for free if you decide to return an rMBP.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Apple hasn't charged a restocking fee for the last year or two. It's still a lot of money to put up to get a few apps.

jW

5. JohnDoe98 thread starter macrumors 68020

But the money is returned to you. So it's really just changing the limit on your Credit Card for a few weeks, and the inconvenience of it all of course. But technically you wouldn't be violating any law or contract.

----------

Doesn't really take any money actually, just a CC. Takes a lot of effort and time though. Anyway, it seems there is some bug in their system if it allows this.

6. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Not really, since the software is licensed to the computer, you should not use it if you returned and received full credit for the computer. Just like apple doesn't use key codes on OS disks, you could theoretically use the same single user install disk 10 times. It's just not right. Why ask though? Did you return the computer?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

actually, Apple has even stated this, MAS apps are licensed to users and not computers and this even extends to the OS. Buy Mountain Lion once and install it on all of your computers is one of their selling points, which is why in ML once you purchase an app in the MAS you can have it automatically download and install on your other computers as well.

8. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Oh but it is. Try and install on more than 5 computers. You can only license 5 computers at a time. Think of it as a family pack.

9. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The point though is, you get computer one day. You use it, and register the software to your AppleID as you should. Even legitimately, if tomorrow you find out for some reason that you don't want it and return it. Those apps are still tied to your ID.

Now I think they could go in and check your AppleID and see if these items were registered to you in the last day or so and remove them from your account. But it seems like more work than it is work to just reimage the machine and start fresh.

Yes this means that someone could abuse the system, but I think that people doing this is at a minimum and thus they don't really care.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This is a ridiculous myth with no basis in reality. There is no limit on the number of Macs you can install a Mac App Store App on. Apple themselves states this repeatedly. They can be installed on all Macs you own or control, with no numerical limit.

jW

11. JohnDoe98 thread starter macrumors 68020

I ask cause I am a curious fellow. I would never think of returning my RMBP, best computer I ever owned. Plus return period is well past now, which is why Apple replaced my screen today rather than swapping my machine for a new one.

12. joetwizzy macrumors member

People have been doing things like this for years. I just last week took a shirt back within the stores 21day policy and re purchased it as it had been reduced £20. Similar principle. It's possible to do, nothing wrong with it. No need to stop it as it doesn't happen frequently enough and it is a lot of hassle. Especially if you have already installed apps and customised your mac.