MAS vs Developer website

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by KingJosh, Apr 7, 2012.

1. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

I want to purchase an app and I have a choice of mac app store for $5.50 or the developer website for $5.00. I thought I had read somewhere previously that if you get apps from the MAS then you have free updates for life. Is this true? If so I would buy from MAS without a second though so I never have to buy a new version again.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's no guarantee of free updates for life, as the developer could simply release a new version under a slightly different name (just add the version number) and you would still have to pay to get the new version. However, it does have the benefit of working on all your computers, while the version from the developer's site may be more (or less) restrictive. It depends on exactly what the developer offers.

jW

3. KingJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

KingJosh

Thanks for that. Ended up buying from developer for $3 (discounted for limited time) lol. I guess it is cool that the dev got all the money instead of only 50% too.

BTW I bought MenuPop. Really cool App and yah $3 if you are interested but you have to get the trial first then it offers you the discount.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, devs get 70%, not 50%, and the developer probably still didn't get all of that money between hosting costs and card processing fees. Still, nothing wrong with doing it that way.

jW

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I thought it was Apple's policy that devs must charge the same price on the App Store as their website...

6. KingJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

KingJosh

lol maybe the website was a particular currency that is different to mine on the app store.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

You can install legally on multiple of your Macs with MAS.