Mashed the power button too hard, heard a crackling noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

So I guess I got a little carried away and mashed the power button really hard on my MacBook Pro Retina.

I heard a crack noise but it's still working fine.

Is the MacBook Pro retina keyboard durable, and what's underneath it? Could I have cracked something underneath?

I'm hoping I didn't break anything :eek::(

2. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Chances are it was a crumb or some other debris. This video shows keyboard key replacements, you can see what is under the key. The MacBook Pro keyboard is slightly different but the design is more or less the same. It's not uncommon to find bits crumbs or whatnot under keys and more often than not they make a crackling sound when pressed.

The only thing that could reasonably be broken is the scissor mechanism (the white plastic piece they transfer between keys in the video) but your power key would likely sit askew if this was the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kg6EfuR-6Y

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the video. So I'm guessing all is OK. I have been using a keyboard cover since day 1 but something could have still gotten in there.

I don't think the key is sitting askew or anything like that. Looks normal to me. This is my first MacBook Pro, so I baby the thing.