Mask a scratched screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dulaney22, Aug 12, 2010.

1. dulaney22 macrumors regular

I've got a screen scratch that is driving me nuts. I've tried some of the buff compounds, etc. to no avail. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you guys have had similar problems and applied a screen protector to mask the scratch? If so, does it help much? Right now it shows up because it distorts the light.

2. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Do you have a glossy screen? What is the model number?

3. dulaney22 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it's a glossy, from the late '08 Unibody. It's actually a MacBook, but figured this may be the better forum for this question.

4. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

If its a glossy screen then the scratch isn't on the screen its just on the outside glass which can be replaced. Maybe look on ebay or ifixit for the part.

5. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

6. dulaney22 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! I had no idea there was a glass front separate from the screen.

7. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Your welcome, I haven't swapped one out myself but I have been told it is held on with double sided tape and that its pretty easy. There should be some youtube videos of it.

I'm bored so here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYu40hH9JIg

8. Zak.V macrumors member

Did you apply the compound with a machine or by hand ? A buffer will be much more successful at removing it. If its too deep to get with compound alone use 2000 grit WET sandpaper and wet sand it out, then buff to restore perfect shine. Go 1500 or 1000 wet if that doesn't work and follow with 2000.

Use water with a tiny amount of soap to soak and lubricate the sandpaper. This will prevent gouging due to rubbing in residue from sanding. Clean off paper every so often and change if it gets to gummed up.

You were on the right track. I know its a bit frightening but be patient and work smart. There is nothing you will do that cant be undone with the same materials. So dont be shy to try.

With machine buffing use small amounts of compound and work up down then side to side. Use light pressure and low speed. This will prevent swirling or marring the finish.

Compound choice and wheel choice will also affect results. More steps is best but using a light/med cut compound and wheel first followed by the same compound/wheel with water will provide good results. Too much water/compound will cause the wheel to throw compound around making a mess. Be sure to spread the amount on the pad around the surface before buffing to minimize throw.

Post pics and we can help you out.