Masking Gmail Address When Sending from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by effectivepull, Aug 1, 2012.

1. effectivepull macrumors newbie

Apologies if this has been discussed before - a quick search didn't turn up anything that can help me with my issue.

I have a gmail address and a custom domain. I would like to be able to use my gmail account on my iphone and when responding to emails on my iPhone have the "from" address be from my custom domain. Also, if they respond to the email it will go to my custom domain - not my gmail address.

For example, I am checking my gmail account on my iPhone and I'd like to respond to the message. When I send the message, I want the recipient to NOT see my gmail address but my custom domain email address.

I found a youtube video of someone doing it but it appears he is using an iOS prior to 5. I tried to use his method but it didn't work.

I'd appreciate any help you may have to offer.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Found this blog post, sounds like it has directions on what you're looking to accomplish but I have not gone through the steps to verify. Hope it helps.

3. effectivepull thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, JM! I'll try it out tonight and let you know how it goes!

4. vettori macrumors 6502a

Do you ever want to send as your gmail address ? If no, just configure your email account as generic imap, enter the custom domain account email on the email address field, enter gmail imap server on incoming and your custom domain smtp server on outgoing.

I don't think gmail smtp servers will allow outgoing emails with a non-gmail sender, but if you use your custom domain smtp servers it should work.

5. effectivepull thread starter macrumors newbie

JediMeister: the blog post that you linked to worked for me. Apple changed things up slightly in iOS 5.1.1 but was still able to figure it out.

I just found that another work around would be to just use the gmail iPhone app. Not as clean as the native iPhone Mail app but still pretty good.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040