Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trueluck3

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
I think it is intentional. They don't want to confuse employees who are installing their company's apps with technical details. But I agree it's way too easy now.
Apple probably think they can rely on the policies and the application process that enterprises go through before a distribution certificate is issued. But I'd guess that most of the certificates that are used to deploy malware are simply stolen.

Well, that was my other question, how are they (conceptually) obtaining the certs? Are they just hacking Apple IDs?

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
Is this just related to the iPhones OR ones macs?

If i read this properly, this has been out for months and Apple has not fixed it yet.
What about the millions of apple users that will use "pirated" software off of various sites, or download torrents for them, etc?

Its one thing for them to find this out today BUT if its been going on since July as I read here, what might have taken place for them?

And don't tell me no one does it for far too many do........

But i am not sure if these are related to apps meant for the phone/iPad or computer??!!

trueluck3

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
How, exactly. I know of no other way to get apps installed or updated except via the App Store. It's not like my Mac or Android tablet where one can get apps from anywhere and from sources which might not be reputable. I could see it happening that way.

If you're familiar with enterprise provisioning, imagine they simply got rid of most user intervention, involving enterprise app installation: <TAP TO INSTALL> - "You sure?" - <TAP YES> - Done. If you're not too familiar, just trust that there are other ways to install apps in enterprise environments.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
If you're familiar with enterprise provisioning, imagine they simply got rid of most user intervention, involving enterprise app installation: <TAP TO INSTALL> - "You sure?" - <TAP YES> - Done. If you're not too familiar, just trust that there are other ways to install apps in enterprise environments.

I'm not nor have I ever been in an 'enterprise environment' though it does seem like a fascinating starship.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Well, that was my other question, how are they (conceptually) obtaining the certs? Are they just hacking Apple IDs?
No. The private key required for code signing is only stored in the keychain of the developer (or an admin in case of a team). This person is responsible for keeping the certificate secure. So it would either have to be stolen from that person's computer or a backup, or a corrupt team member could leak/sell it. It might also be possible for a black hat to fool Apple into issuing a distribution certificate by posing as a legit enterprise, but I don't know how thorough the vetting process is.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How, exactly. I know of no other way to get apps installed or updated except via the App Store. It's not like my Mac or Android tablet where one can get apps from anywhere and from sources which might not be reputable. I could see it happening that way.
Well, as mentioned, it's right in the article (not counting a lot of discussion of it all in this very thread):

"...
Masque Attack can be used to install fake versions of apps over legitimate App Store versions using iOS enterprise provision profiles, which are used for beta testing or by companies to distribute apps to employees without the need for the official App Store.
..."

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Well, as mentioned, it's right in the article (not counting a lot of discussion of it all in this very thread):

"...

Masque Attack can be used to install fake versions of apps over legitimate App Store versions using iOS enterprise provision profiles, which are used for beta testing or by companies to distribute apps to employees without the need for the official App Store.

..."

Fine. But how does that affect me if I'm not in a corporate environment?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If someone has access to an enterprise distribution certificate issued by Apple and a matching provisioning profile, they can cryptographically sign an app bundle such that it will install on your phone. In contrast to regular provisioning profiles used for development work, enterprise profiles do not require pre-registration of the UDID of the devices, i.e. they work on any device.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
If someone has access to an enterprise distribution certificate issued by Apple and a matching provisioning profile, they can sign an app bundle such that it will install on your phone. In contrast to regular provisioning profiles used for development work, enterprise profiles do not require pre-registration of the UDID of the devices, i.e. they work on any device.

How would they send it to my phone? Via Bluetooth? I keep Bluetooth off almost all the time except when I actually need to use a headset.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It might not. But it's not limited to corporate environments. Basically a developer of an app can have a beta version or some version with some fix in it that they would like to see if anyone wants to test and distribute that app in this manner where you click on an email link or an online link and get prompted to install such an app which in turn installs a profile (as that is needed to install an app like that), and that profile then could perhaps get in the hands of someone else who might misuse it and offer some other apps that pretend to be real apps. It's not to say that this would be something common of course, or that it would seem something that is all that likely to happen, but the vulnerability is there nonetheless, and might carry more of a potential impact for some and not much for many others.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
It might not. But it's not limited to corporate environments. Basically a developer of an app can have a beta version or some version with some fix in it that they would like to see if anyone wants to test and distribute that app in this manner where you click on an email link or an online link and get prompted to install such an app which in turn installs a profile (as that is needed to install an app like that), and that profile then could perhaps get in the hands of someone else who might misuse it and offer some other apps that pretend to be real apps. It's not to say that this would be something common of course, or that it would seem something that is all that likely to happen, but the vulnerability is there nonetheless, and might carry more of a potential impact for some and not much for many others.

I never find myself in any of those situations.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
How would they send it to my phone? Via Bluetooth? I keep Bluetooth off almost all the time except when I actually need to use a headset.
You would install something from somewhere.
I never find myself in any of those situations.
Again, most people won't, but surely quite a few just might. Look at all the people with all kinds of viruses, malware, adware, spyware, etc. on their computers--quite a bit of it is something that they inadvertently install themselves somewhere down the line, it's not usually something that just appears on its own without user interaction.

Most people don't fall for basic scams that are even very obvious, and yet some still do that all those "princes" or "generals" leaving millions of dollars to people still scam enough to make it worthwhile for them to do it.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
You would install something from somewhere. Again, most people won't, but surely quite a few just might. Look at all the people with all kinds of viruses, malware, adware, spyware, etc. on their computers--quite a bit of it is something that they inadvertently install themselves somewhere down the line, it's not usually something that just appears on its own without user interaction.

Ok. Well it is as I figured at first. I personally am not going to be affected since I'm not in an environment where it can happen. But I feel sorry for those who are.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok. Well it is as I figured at first. I personally am not going to be affected since I'm not in an environment where it can happen. But I feel sorry for those who are.
Again, it's not necessarily about being in any particular environment, even just regular people can install some app that is offered to them as a "preview" before it's officially released or through some "beta" program. Many won't be in those kinds of situations, but quite a few have been and will be. But it's not really related to being in any particular environment or anything like that.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Again, it's not necessarily about being in any particular environment, even just regular people can install some app that is offered to them as a "preview" before it's officially released or through some "beta" program. Many won't be in those kinds of situations, but quite a few have been and will be. But it's not really related to being in any particular environment or anything like that.

I don't do betas or previews on my phone.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
So, I have to click a link to install an "app" in an SMS from someone I don't know that takes me to a place that isn't the app store? And, this is considered a huge vulnerability? I mean, I guess that you'll get a few people that will say "Yay! New Flappy Bird! And I didn't have to check the app store for it."
That said, hopefully, Apple will fix this pretty quickly. Maybe in 8.1.1.

No different from the steps one had to take go through to get Malware on Android. That didn't stop it from making headlines. Here are the steps for those that were unaware.

CLick a link to an APK via the web
CLick yes to allow "harmful or malicious apps"
Takes you to settings to check "allow unknown sources"
Uncheck "Verify Apps"
Read through permissions
Then click install
Click Open

Just like Malware on android, it is pretty limited to the asian market where googles play store is nonexistent. Seems to be the case here with iOS.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
If someone has access to an enterprise distribution certificate issued by Apple and a matching provisioning profile, they can cryptographically sign an app bundle such that it will install on your phone. In contrast to regular provisioning profiles used for development work, enterprise profiles do not require pre-registration of the UDID of the devices, i.e. they work on any device.

Pretty much. I can do it right now, as one of my dev accounts is an Enterprise account.

I can build an app that works like Gmail, bundle up all the same assets so it looks the same, and use the same Bundle ID, com.google.GMail, and if you clicked a link pointing the distribution, you’d get a confirm, then an install (and it would replace your existing legit Gmail app).

More effort, but slightly more insidious - send a link that drops the user on a web page that looks like a legit App Store UI. The email wouldn’t be some janky “Click This”, but an easily spoofed email from Apple with the App of the Week design.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I don't do betas or previews on my phone.
And that's fine. What I was saying is that this can apply to anyone. Anyone can certainly choose what they do or don't do, but it's not limited to someone who jailbreaks, or to someone that uses their device in an enterprise environment or anything like that. It might not be something that you end up doing, as is the case for many other things I'm sure, but that doesn't mean much as far as what many others do or might do, or what that means as far as this issue being in existence and/or needing to be addressed in some way.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
And that's fine. What I was saying is that this can apply to anyone. Anyone can certainly choose what they do or don't do, but it's not limited to someone who jailbreaks, or to someone that uses their device in an enterprise environment or anything like that. It might not be something that you end up doing, as is the case for many other things I'm sure, but that doesn't mean much as far as what many others do or might do, or what that means as far as this issue being in existence and/or needing to be addressed in some way.

And though it doesn't affect me I sure hope Apple fixed it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No different from the steps one had to take go through to get Malware on Android. That didn't stop it from making headlines. Here are the steps for those that were unaware.

CLick a link to an APK via the web
CLick yes to allow "harmful or malicious apps"
Takes you to settings to check "allow unknown sources"
Uncheck "Verify Apps"
Read through permissions
Then click install
Click Open

Just like Malware on android, it is pretty limited to the asian market where googles play store is nonexistent. Seems to be the case here with iOS.
And in the iOS case it actually can even involve less steps and less warnings, especially as of iOS 8 it would seem.

trueluck3

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2014
No. The private key required for code signing is only stored in the keychain of the developer (or an admin in case of a team). This person is responsible for keeping the certificate secure. So it would either have to be stolen from that person's computer or a backup, or a corrupt team member could leak/sell it. It might also be possible for a black hat to fool Apple into issuing a distribution certificate by posing as a legit enterprise, but I don't know how thorough the vetting process is.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Which is a pretty tough scenario to come accross, but certainly not impossible. The last resort and saving grace is the Apple remote shutdown / blacklist. So you combine that with the enterprise approval process, and you're pretty good, overall. But there's just no reason to remove the prompt. Unless, however, you can implement approved packages and certs, and then, through additional, explicit preferences in MDM / Apple Configurator, allow installation of approved packages, without a security prompt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.