Mass Convert Videos?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmak02, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Dmak02 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I ripped the seasons of Veronica Mars and I wanted to watch it on my iPhone, but I want to convert all of it and make it smaller (in file size) at the same time. I have used handbrake, and it does allow me to select a target size, but it's quite tedious to have to click all these different things. Is there something where I can just drag and drop and have it all convert using 1 setting and also maintain the file name?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

make a preset in handbrake!!!!! then all you have to do is click the preset instead of changing all the settings.

visual hub is also quite good at doing mass exports.

3. Dmak02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not know you can do that, let me try it and get back to you.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok sure thing, make sure to queue them up too :p

goodluck!

also, im thinking: since they are similar times/file sizes one preset should be fine, because of these similarities it should be no problem using it.

5. Dmak02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize that was a preset. I was thinking of a macro. I already have a preset for iPhone, but I always have to change the format to MP4 and I always have rename the output file by increasing the episode by 1 then I queue it. I wish handbrake could just select a bunch of files and then set all to MP4 and have them keep their original names.

BTW, I am PC.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok well make the preset (by choosing all the correct settings you want then going to the menu and making a new preset) then you can simply change the file. i am not sure of a way to batch select files in handbrake, sorry about that..

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Handbrake is really annoying when it comes to batch-processing a bunch of video. You'll have to find and download VisualHub (which is discontinued). Instead of HB's individually add queue, VH is just a drag and drop list, you choose your settings and hit convert.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

he's on a PC ;)

9. Dmak02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, and most important... I want to be able to choose my file size like ~80MB, so I don't have to clog up my iphone :)

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

handbrake will be able to do that for you :) 80mb will look a bit crappy though wont it?

11. Dmak02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it can do that, I was trying to find a solution for mass quantities. What would you suggest to get the best resolution for iPhone, but save space at the same time?

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in my small experience watching videos on my 5G iPod, i found 256kbps (video) pretty sufficient to watch. so if the shows are 20 minutes each, and the audio is 128kbps that will mean that the file is 384*60*20 kb in size (460,800kb), or roughly 57mb in size.. (i think). so judging by that, it seems that your 80mb target size would be a good estimate (and my calculations are correct of course haha).

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Silly me. I DID read that part before and decided not to post. Came back moments later completely forgetting that I had read the thread at all. But missed that crucial point.

*bows head in shame*

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

all is forgiven, but not forgotten ehehehe.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You are spot on. ~80 MB is the average size of all my Scrubs episodes (~22 minutes). However most of those are 4:3 aspect (320x240) and were encoded back then for my iPod Classic. Those bit rates are 128 for the audio and about 300-400 kbps for the video.

But for some reason, the widescreen stuff VisualHub managed to encode at 624x352 so that stuff hovers about 130 MB for a ~22 minute episode.

16. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Handbreak has a feature called"Add to Que."

This allows you to add many files at one time.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

but you still have to add them one at a time, ensuring that the correct preset has been selected - thats the problem. a drag n drop situation would make it so much simpler.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Here's your problem :)

I haven't used handbrake in a while, but IIRC there should be a queue setting where it will use the same setting and just move to the next episode after the prvious one is done.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Did you even read what i posted in my last post lol?