Mass DVD rip and Encode. Help! :)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nateo200, Oct 16, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ok I have every season of 24 my favorite TV show of all time on DVD. I had every season except a few on my old hard drive in 08 but it was destroyed...don't really care since I used some crappy encoder back then for like 500MB 320x240p rips with terrible audio lol. Anyways I'm ripping all the DVD's off the discs using MakeMKV and then queueing them all in Handbrake...my main drive is not the best choice right now, I could use it but I have a 1TB external USB 2.0 with 800gigs free...do you guys see any disadvantages to ripping them to the 1TB then encoding from the 1TB USB 2.0 to my HDD? USB 2.0 is obviously slower than SATA but will encode speeds be high enough for it to even matter? Will it bottleneck massively? I mean I'd like to be encoding at the highest FPS possible..I've gotten 70fps before but that was off the HDD. I should know this by now but I'm blanking out...:eek::( thanks in advance..

2. careypo macrumors member

What you want to do is use two different drives both connect via SATA. However, I would recommend reading the content of the USB 2.0 and then encoding to a SATA disk. The optimal result would be SATA to SATA. Even better would be using a Solid State Flash drive for encoding and reading the content.

3. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

At 650fps you'd be starting to push the limits of USB2. If anything, USB2 is overkill.