Mass Effect 2 For PS3 Jan 18th.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by macfan881, Dec 18, 2010.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Few Months ago Bio Ware announced one of the Top Hits on PC/360 is coming to PS3 Mass Effect 2, and for the wait Bio Ware decided to not only throw in all the DLC contet such as Zaed Kasumi Lair of the shadow broker etc. Bio Ware has been reving up over the year the graphics engin and acording to Bio Ware it will be the same Engine that they plan to use Mass Effect 3 there calling this the definitve Version. since MS owns the rights for Mass Effect 1 They worked on a "interactive Comic" with Dark Horse that will fill you in and let you make key decisions from the first game.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/16/the-“definitive-version”-of-mass-effect-2-is-on-ps3/

I cant wait even though I've played this on the 360/pc The fact that this has all the DLC is worth it and it will be cool to see the new graphic engine as well I'm pre ordering this tomorrow.

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I've never played a Mass Effect game or any of the KOTOR republic either.

I may check this out...

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Mass Effect 2 probably ranks number 2 on my all time games number 1 being Metal Gear Solid 4.

4. Nermal, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Coincidentally I finally started Mass Effect 1 yesterday. I had no idea what I wanted for Christmas but I'm enjoying ME1 so much that I might ask for ME2 :p

5. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

The Demo is on the PSN store I'm downloading it as we speak ill put my thoughts up on after its done dl. its a 2.2gig dl

6. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Cool, I didn't know there was gonna be a demo! I'll check it out over the holidays.

7. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

Pretty good Demo I was Impresed with the controls. They let you play two missions the part where shepard wakes up and they let you recuit Mordin. Fun game I plan on buying this

8. MRU, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Seems like the 'vastly improved over Xbox 360' is more a case of 'slightly enhanced here and there, but likewise it is not as good in a quite a few places too'.....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-masseffect2-demo-analysis

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/masseffect2-360-vs-ps3-faceoff?size=hd

I was genuniely considering re-purchasing on ps3 after the hyperbole about it being definitive.
    After reading the digital foundry article and watching the HD comparison video, I will stick with the 360 version.

Still stunning game for PS3 only owners and definitely a must by if you do not have or have not experienced Mass Effect 2 :)

9. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Played the Demo.

I quit the demo and deleted it from my PS3 right at the part where you heal the guys leg. I won't be buying the game...

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Played the demo on PS3 and have to say they did a nice job on it. Can't go wrong with such a good game, small differences aside.

11. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

and It could still be a early demo to there was a huge difference in terms of detail when the GOW 3 E3 demo came out and the Demo they released prior to the game release.

12. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I played the demo, and I guess I didn't really "get it"? :confused: Looks like a nice enough story and all, but I really didn't see anything special or exciting about it gameplay-wise.

What is it that makes this game so supposedly awesome?

13. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Playing as an Infiltrator and acquiring the "Widow" sniper rifle. The game goes from good to amazing with that setup.

Oh, and the dancing is EXCELLENT as well... :D

[​IMG]

14. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I agree totally

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's a game where a demo really doesn't do the game justice. Much like Dragon Age, it's a game that only really takes on it's own after a few hours of getting involved with the story and the characters. Squeezing that down to demo time frame / experience doesn't really work.

Also Mass Effect 2 really needs a recap of the events from the first game to put it into context, somthing a demo experience lacks.

I never really got into Mass Effect at release, but I played it to completion before the release of Mass Effect 2 and by the end of it I was compelled to finish and see where the story took me. In a similar way to Fable actually where for the first couple of hours it was meh! by 19 hours I was raptured.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i have to say i feel the same about the demo .. from all the praise one would think that it grips you completly

the problem IMHO isn't the story in general (it sounds ok fro mthe demo) ... except that "miracle reconstruction after falling down to a planet" in the beginning... seriously it doesn't help if you burst out in laughter within 10 minutes from the sheer similarity to Luc Besson's Fifth Element

my bigger gripe is that the actual combat (using forces etc.) just isn't fun or intuitive... it on the same button as weapon selection ? any reason why ?
    it may have story, atmosphere, art direction and great charcters but few will know because .. honestly the demo doesn't play quite well

i will very likely buy it down the line when it drops in price but i'm actually puzzled why i feel _nothing_ while playing the game despite being a real sci-fi fan

17. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

That is exactly it. It's sort of like watching the trailer for a movie. Sure, in those 2 minutes or so, you might get a rough idea of what a movie is about, but you don't know all of the plot details, character interactions, etc. The same goes for any game demo, really, but even more so with Mass Effect. This game is built around all of the dialogue choices you make, the way you interact with, and choose, your squadmates, and how you choose to progress through the game. There is a lot to it, and it only gets better the further you play through it.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Exactly it's the consequences of the decisions you make during dialogue that play out in the story that make you follow through. Doing that in a demo, just doesn't happen.

19. Cuddles macrumors newbie

Loved this game on the pc. I will probably get it for the ps3 just to play through it again. Will mass effect 3 launch on the ps3 as well...or will we have to wait a year or so?

20. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

I know it's stupid, but I'm really tempted to buy this for the PS3. I played the Xbox version and loved it, but my console preference is the PS3. I tested the demo and the game ran very well and I didn't see any worse graphics or slowdown compared to the Xbox version. Maybe once it goes to the bargain bins...

21. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

It's going to take a while for PS3 owners to get it. It's a very sophisticated game world, so if you didn't play through Mass Effect 1 (which will never release on PS3 due to it being published by Microsoft) then ME2 will throw a whole lot of weird, new things at you at once.

Don't know why they would even make a demo because the game is all about making tough decisions, not really combat. :p

22. lewdvig macrumors 65816

I was just playing the unofficial Mac port and it runs great - much better than the official Assassin's Creed 2.

http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=4587

If there is time tomorrow I will post a video of the game running on my Mac to Youtube.

It's incredible what those hobbyists on The Porting Team can do.

Cheap games on steam, plus emulation wrappers = win.

23. alukado macrumors member

Can't wait to see your video :D

24. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Despite not liking the Demo I'm downloading from PSN. I've been watching and reading a lot of the reviews from the 360 and since it was GOTY on a lot of sites decided "what the hell.."

I also tend to impulse buy when I pop a bottle of wine, so that may have played a factor...

25. Cuddles macrumors newbie

Just prepare to log like 4 hours the first play. It's an epic story.