Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
well Guess what Popped up in Ea's Web store for pre order today though no date has been given yet EA did spill the detailes on the plot

Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth.

Cant wait to see the trailer at the VGA's :D

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/10/mass-effect-3-outed-on-ea-store/

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I can't wait for this to come out-- big fan of the Mass Effect series.

What's Earth have to do with the story though?

radomu

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
I dunno, but it might bring nationalism to Shepard, since he's a human.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I really can't wait for this game. I think I played through mass effect 2 about 10 times on the xbox...
Yea, I quite enjoyed ME2. I played through twice. Once as an evil as hell Renegade dude, and then a second time as a very good Paragon female. She will be my import character, as I had all squadmates loyal and they all survived to the end. Kasumi was my favorite, though Legion was pretty awesome as well. Kasumi's maxed out Heavy Shadow Strike was excellent.

radomu

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
Yea, I quite enjoyed ME2. I played through twice. Once as an evil as hell Renegade dude, and then a second time as a very good Paragon female. She will be my import character, as I had all squadmates loyal and they all survived to the end. Kasumi was my favorite, though Legion was pretty awesome as well. Kasumi's maxed out Heavy Shadow Strike was excellent.

Being Japanese myself, I lold at the cheesy "Japaneseness" of Kasumi :D

:eek::eek::eek:

The Reapers are raping my favorite city :mad:

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
OK, am I the only one here that is getting the feeling that we won't even be able to play as our Shepard from prior games, but instead this will be Mass Effect: Black Ops and we'll be stuck as a soldier-nobody on Earth?

So no more exploring the Galaxy and even less RPG elements :(

Anyways, regardless I'll buy this game, as the first ME is one of my favorites this decade. The second one was also really good, but I was unable to finish it until after I found a hack that let me split that asinine-single-action button into individual key-actions and re-enabled crouching.

radomu

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2010
OK, am I the only one here that is getting the feeling that we won't even be able to play as our Shepard from prior games, but instead this will be Mass Effect: Black Ops and we'll be stuck as a soldier-nobody on Earth?

Anyways, regardless I'll buy this game, as the first ME is one of my favorites this decade. The second one was also really good, but I was unable to finish it until after I found a hack that let me split that asinine-single-action button into individual key-actions and re-enabled crouching.

I hope it runs smooth on macbook pro's. I never played mass effect on a computer, I've always played it on the xbox.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
OK, am I the only one....
Someone from Bioware said that they are pulling in a HUGE amount of data from your ME2 save if you import. Granted, much of this might be trivial stuff that has no REAL importance on the game. But either way, you will be able to import your person just fine, and I'm sure major plot decisions from ME2 will have consequences in ME3.

Last edited:

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Someone from Bioware said that they are pulling in a HUGE amount of data from your ME2 save if you import. Granted, much of this might be trivial stuff that has no REAL importance on the game. But either way, you will be able to import your person just fine, and I'm sure major plot decisions from ME2 will have consequences in ME3.

I really hope it has some choices from 1 as your going around to rally races I hope it rembers stuff like if you save the Rachni and program the geth to help you out to that would be a nice touch as well.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I hope it runs smooth on macbook pro's. I never played mass effect on a computer, I've always played it on the xbox.

It's great on pc personally Its better than Xbox but unless you got a dedicated card I dont think this will run well.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006

Nah, why otherwise go to all the effort of pulling what you do as Shepard from ME1 and 2?

As far as exploring the galaxy and more RPG stuff, the announcement said that Shepard would have to get the galactic civilizations together to fight the Reapers, so presumably we'll still be flying around a bit. And for RPG, I think I read something that mentioned they'd heard the complaints about that for ME2 so hopefully that'll be addressed.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Nah, why otherwise go to all the effort of pulling what you do as Shepard from ME1 and 2?

As far as exploring the galaxy and more RPG stuff, the announcement said that Shepard would have to get the galactic civilizations together to fight the Reapers, so presumably we'll still be flying around a bit. And for RPG, I think I read something that mentioned they'd heard the complaints about that for ME2 so hopefully that'll be addressed.

That's a glimmer of light.

I'm just worried, since other games I like have been going Modern Wafware or Gears of War to appease mainstream.

It didn't help my concerns when one of the uppers over at EA announced that single player games are dead and multiplayer is where it's at -- I'm wondering if he's the reason Dead Space 2 is getting the Modern Warfare 2 treatment? Anyways, I hope he leaves EA, or Bioware breaks off before any real harm can be done.

Anyways, I'll still buy this game and I really hope it has the best of Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 combined.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I just hope they won't give up the space opera theme and go for some boring plot about saving Earth. Given that they said there would be tons of endings based on your decisions from 1 and 2, I'm not too worried. Still though, to have the trailer showing the Reapers hitting Earth...kind of :confused:

Speaking about new trailers, anyone watch the recent ones coming out these days? A lot of them seem to be made with real life actors, what's up with that? Not a big fan of the whole blu-ray look to them either. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but game trailers should show off a game engine or the studio's CGI ability, not the ability to hire actors to put on costumes and shoot them with a fancy camera.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
Back in the early nineties, actors coupled with CG was the rage.

There were lots of games that had live actors coupled in with the extremely limited CG of that time. :)

With Mass Effect 3, I want the inventory system back -- on the PC ME's inventory setup was OK, as it was more manageable. The weapons locker made sense in ME2, but being able to pick up loot was still was something I wanted and later when I found a weapon's locker in the middle of a battle, this system lost all credibility and showed why an inventory system is essential.

With ME3 they absolutely have to get rid of the mission complete screens. This killed ALL continuity making the game feel arcade-ish. I know load times were slow on the console, but this is not the case on the PC. I'll take longer load times over something that makes a game feel like it belongs in an arcade.

AND, even thought I like mineral mining, if they eliminated this and gave me back vehicle exploration I'd be REALLY happy. I know that on the console the tank's aim system was less than ideal. All they needed to do was implement the PC method, in which aim is independent of movement and all would have been fine. The newer Firewalker vehicle is LAME IMO. Fun to a degree, but overall way too arcade-ish.

Anyways, I really liked the combat improvements to ME2, but only after I could once again use separate keys to do all the actions. The single-action key I mentioned earlier absolutely SUCKS and needs to go by default. So if in ME3 I get a similar combat system, I'd be happy -- I beat ME2 on its hardest setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.