Mass Effect: Andromeda for Mac?!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by koyoot, Mar 30, 2016.

1. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

It also says blatantly that this refers to "a possible, future version of Mass Effect."

3. koyoot thread starter macrumors 601

koyoot

Yes, Mass Effect Andromeda is next, future version of Mass Effect. It has been announced ;).

4. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I LOVE the Mass Effect games. I'm wondering if the game will allow you to import your previous games' history, like 2 and 3 did? Unfortunately I'm screwed because I played 1-3 on Xbox 360 -- and I no longer have mine.

5. koyoot thread starter macrumors 601

koyoot

I do not think so. It is completely new history, as far as I know.

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The game will be using the Frostbyte engine. There were job postings to port the engine to the Mac several years ago, but I don't know if anything came of it. We never got Inquisition.

7. koyoot thread starter macrumors 601

koyoot

Every most meaningful game engine is right now on OS X: CryEngine, Unreal Engine 4, Unity. There was only lack of Frostbite, officially. Maybe it will change with ME:Andromeda?

8. wubsylol macrumors regular

I'd wager than "PC/Mac" moniker in a marketing document is more a generic way of referring to desktop computers, as opposed to consoles, rather than some subtle hint that the game is coming to Mac.

9. koyoot thread starter macrumors 601

koyoot

Nope, the moniker in sales means that there is universal version of a game. I do see that Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, or Dragon Age 2 is Windows/Mac or Win&Mac, but I do not see this at Overwatch or Mass Effect 2/3 games. The last ones are Windows PC games.

See the difference? ;)

10. wubsylol macrumors regular

That's not a sales document though, it's an internal marketing survey.
    In the context of an internal marketing survey, "PC/Mac" is likely a generic term referring to a desktop PC.

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You might think so, but I've seen PC/Mac referred to before and it really meant PC only.

The likelihood of Andromeda coming to OS X is the same as SpaceX putting people on Mars in five years.

12. koyoot thread starter macrumors 601

koyoot

Bring me the data, like I have did.

Available at 59.99$ for Xbox One, PS4, Windows PC/Mac. The last bit is nowhere else to be seen apart from games that truly are on Mac. Otherwise it always says Windows.

Other thing is that both possibilities are equally true. Either it will be on Mac or only on Windows.

13. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

We'll see when the game is released. No previous game has made it to OS X, and again, the odds of Andromeda coming to OS X are essentially nil.

14. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm

Correct guess.

15. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Knowing EA, they'd release it for for Mac, then have day 1 DLC to unlock the ability to play it on the Mac.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe they didn't get Tim Cook's Memo stating that they should be developing and releasing their games for the iPad Pro... :eek:

;)

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Even if EA wanted to do it, Apple needs to fix Metal first.

18. wubsylol macrumors regular

There's been nothing to even suggest that the Frostbite engine has Mac support, so I think the chances of Andromeda coming to Mac are zero.

19. Cougarcat macrumors 604

20. beyelynn, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

beyelynn macrumors newbie

beyelynn

I hope it will be optimized on mac. Often games have slowdowns or other. :confused: