Mass-setting permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Egosphere, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Egosphere macrumors member

I clean-installed (erase, format, install) Leopard on my computer. Before doing so, I back up everything: that includes my iTunes music directory. I just cp'd the directory to my external harddrive in the terminal. And, after installing Leopard I cp'd it back. Now, the permissions are messed up and I don't have read & write access. I can easily change this by going to each file and folder's info and changing the permissions so that I have read and write and I am owner, but I really don't want to have to do this for every single file and folder in my music directory.

How can I, at once, set permissions recursively on all subdirectories files in them and their subdirectories and so on?

Thanks!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

On the lowest level folder(the itunes folder) set your permissions then click the gear bellow the permissions box. Then click apply to enclosed items.

3. splintah macrumors member

i just had a similar problem so thanks for the info with the gear

i migrated from my powerbook to the macbook
    and couldnt use the migration assistant so i had to copy everything over by hand
    and that messed up the permissions a bit

thats a good checklist:
    http://www.procata.com/blog/archive...-mac-os-x-application-data-between-computers/

could you apply that to the user folder ?
    or do files and folders within the user folder have different permissions ?