Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Since updating to Sonoma last week I'm having massive battery/standby draining problems. I typically have my laptop plugged in overnight and after using it for a bit I move it to another room where it sits (unplugged) on standby in case I need it, before taking it back to my office at the end of the day where it will get plugged in again.

The last 4 nights of this when I come back to my laptop it is 100% drained at the end of the day (as in, takes a while to turn on, does the red battery empty icon when it does come on, then does the "dong" sound).

Here's what the battery thing in system preference shows for the last two days.

You can see the 'screen on' time for both days, and how quickly the battery is draining. The laptop was even a bit warm to the touch today when coming to check on it.

signal-2023-10-04-182713_003.png

signal-2023-10-04-182713_002.png

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I've since reset the SMC/PRAM and have tried having apps that would potentially sync/drain batteries closed (discord, sync).

Is there a way to know what the culprit is (to me this seems like a sonoma bug, but to try to address it in the meantime)?

p.s. nothing in Activity Monitor is showing 'preventing sleep' or anything like that either.

abeagler

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
I am having the same issue - 2020 Intel MBA, this happened only after Sonoma update

abeagler

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Three months later I finally figured it out - widgets in the notification center. I didn't have any desktop widgets, but didn't realize Sonoma also added them into the notification center, which I never use. This week I inadvertently clicked there and saw widgets for stocks and weather (and one other, I think, but I forget). Deleted them and my overnight standby battery drain went from 30% down to 5%.

funnyatleast

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Same issue. Just upgraded my 14" Pro M1 to sonoma yesterday and my battery is tanking. Right now at medium brightness, 41% , i have an estimated 52 minutes left. The computer is also running hot. I am not running anything new the background and deleted all the widgets. Prior to upgrading one charge easily lasted me a full day of usage

14dcutaneo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2017
USA
Apple STILL hasn't fixed it. 2019 16" Intel MBP on Sonoma. I have no applications running and sometimes the computer will drain the entire battery overnight. It only happens maybe once a week. All applications are closed. Does anybody have any idea on how to track whatever running process may be eating battery life in sleep?

Furka

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Same issue on a MBP-13 from 2012 OCLP 14.3. It wakes up while sleeping on the night (I do not know how many times).

14dcutaneo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2017
USA
I've been able to mitigate the effects by disabling automatically checking for software updates in system preferences. This seems to have done the trick as after looking at some logs the computer just kept on unnecessarily checking for new software updates on loop

KNSmax

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2023
I've since reset the SMC/PRAM and have tried having apps that would potentially sync/drain batteries closed (discord, sync).

Is there a way to know what the culprit is (to me this seems like a sonoma bug, but to try to address it in the meantime)?

p.s. nothing in Activity Monitor is showing 'preventing sleep' or anything like that either.
I had a similar problem after updating to sonoma and installing lots ofvwidgets, in my case i deleted all the widgets and the battery drain stopped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.