Massive battery life decrease only by switching to LTE.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FeliApple, Dec 4, 2015.

1. FeliApple macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5s. Today, I had 90% battery life with 1 hour 10 minutes of usage on Wi-Fi. Every setting that I don't need and decreases battery life is deactivated, brightness at about 10%, as I was indoors.

Then, as I had to go, I plugged it up until 100% and left. It was on Standby for around 2 Hours, until I started using it. Only difference is, that now the phone was on LTE, always with 3 to 5 bars of signal. I felt the battery was draining like crazy, until it reached 90% again, and I went into settings to check usage. Surprise, now usage time was at... 37 minutes!!! And the only difference was changing from Wi-Fi to LTE, with exactly the same brightness!! (It was at night, don't worry about my vision :p)
    Now, I do not expect it to last the same, but half the time? Unacceptable. Is there anything I can do to change that, or it is what it is? Former or current 5s users, can you tell me how long does it last while on LTE?
    PS: Phone on Wi-Fi all through lasts between 7 and 9 hours with 10% brightness. The other day I used it on broad daylight and had to put brightness to 100%. Phone lasted 4 Hours 25 Minutes and was at 5%, it is really low, but well, it was max brightness, so it is what it is, but I cannot accept the previous duration.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Where you doing the exact same things on WiFi as on LTE in those 10% drops? (Also, if you unplug just when you get to 100% can often mean that you have somewhat less charge then if you leave it for some more time at 100% to finish topping off, which can translate to some noticeable battery use.)

3. FeliApple, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I topped it off for around 10 minutes when I left home. Is that enough? I'll plug it up earlier from now on if it isn't. And yeah, I was doing quite the same things, nothing battery intensive.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I'm not sure about the 6 and 6s, but I can tell you for certain that the 4 and 5 are not completely topped up when it first displays 100%, unless one of the updates changed that, and I didn't notice it. I usually leave my devices connected for at least 30 minutes after the 100% displays.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Topping up a battery like that won't give you any accurate readings.

7. FeliApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, I don't use Facebook