Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I have this massive callus on my right hand from using a computer all day. It has been big, red, and gross for the past couple years and I'm starting to get a bit concerned that I'm not holding my mouse properly or just doing something wrong in general. As of this past week, the bone where I put the majority of my weight (where the callous is) has really started feeling sore.

I've looked on YouTube for some good videos explaining how to use a mouse, but haven't found anything very helpful. Am I not using my mouse properly?

When I hold the mouse, the back end of the mouse sits in the middle of my palm. I rest all the weight where the callus is on the mousepad. Am I supposed to rest all the weight on the mouse itself, and keep my whole hand on the top of the mouse? When I do that, it feels like its harder to control and the weight distribution feels funny.

If attached pictures below. The one on the left is my left hand, where there is a small callus. On the right is my problem hand. In person the callus is much larger, it seems quite small here...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    241.3 KB · Views: 5,072
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 12,162

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
If you are having trouble with your mouse, have you considered a trackball? You shouldn't rush out and buy one, they aren't for everyone, but I love mine. Because only your fingers are moving there is no strain on your wrist. In your case, you shouldn't be rubbing your wrist on the desk.

I have the Logitech M570, which you can see on this link -- http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/7365

Try to find a friend who has one to give it a shot first, but this would be my recommendation.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I also have mine like that, and although aesthetically is not good, I never had any problem with it. If you use a palmrest, it will solve the problem

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
If you are having trouble with your mouse, have you considered a trackball? You shouldn't rush out and buy one, they aren't for everyone, but I love mine. Because only your fingers are moving there is no strain on your wrist. In your case, you shouldn't be rubbing your wrist on the desk.

I have the Logitech M570, which you can see on this link -- http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/trackballs/devices/7365

Try to find a friend who has one to give it a shot first, but this would be my recommendation.

+10000000000

I had the same mass callus and a sore wrist.

Sucked it up feeling like a tool for the first few days using the trackball and haven't looked back since.

why?

wrist doesn't move! :)

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
What's your mouse sensitivity set to? Ever kicked it up a notch?

I use CAD software all day (I pretty much have to cover all the screen real estate, on two screens) and I have my mouse set to where I really don't need to move my wrist a whole lot. It's not for everybody, either, but it might be worth trying out before you buy more hardware.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
if you're resting your weight there while you're using the mouse.....then you're doing it wrong! :eek:

lift the weight off your wrist and glide the mouse about instead of using your wrist as a pivot

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
if you're resting your weight there while you're using the mouse.....then you're doing it wrong! :eek:

lift the weight off your wrist and glide the mouse about instead of using your wrist as a pivot

So all the weight of my arm is resting upon the mouse? Feels kinda uncomfortable, but maybe it's because I'm not used to it. Also less accurate!

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I don't want to sound like a downer but I used to get a callus like that a few years back after using the computer.
Now I have carpal tunnel syndrome.

Get yourself a rest for your mousing arm and get your mousing technique correct.
If your wrist or arm starts to feel irritated rest it for a while.
A wrist rest for the keyboard is also a good thing if you are using a standard desktop keyboard.

Prevention is better than cure with this one.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Get a higher resolution (DPI) mouse. The higher the DPI the less distance you'll need to move your mouse.

Use your mouse ergonomically. Google it or visit this page for some general advice on the subject.

Take "expert advice" with a grain of salt (experiment and use what works best for you.) For example, the ergonomics link above says "movement of the mouse should come from the whole arm and shoulder, not just the wrist" and also tells readers to "avoid the use of a wrist pad." Personally, I find that moving just my wrist/fingers and using a wrist pad works best for me.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
So all the weight of my arm is resting upon the mouse? Feels kinda uncomfortable, but maybe it's because I'm not used to it. Also less accurate!

ack no, the weight of your arm isn't to be resting on the mouse. :eek:

I suspect the whole approach of resting the weight of your arm out at the end of it, whether on your hand or on the mouse, is your problem. That's why you're getting a callus.

If you need to rest the weight of arm on something, do it on the arm itself, away from your hand and your mouse

edit; this is from the link localoid posted......see how that arm is pointed down with the weight resting on surface behind the mouse.....that's why you're getting your callus

mouse1.gif

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I am so blind I guess, I don't see anything different in the picture on the right lol

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
You're using it wrong.

~Steve
(Sent from my iPhone)

on a more serious note, get a decent ergonomic mouse. A gel pad is crap, enjoy your worsened RSI.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As others pointed out, you are doing it wrong, and it'll likely lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.

I use the Logitech Mouse M500 and able to rest weight on palm and still maintain control. My elbow is on the chair arm rest.

Here are some "gaming" grips for high accuracy control (menu is in flash).
http://www2.razerzone.com/MouseGuide/html/palmgrip.php
I don't like razer as they are too small for my hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.