MASSIVE CPU usage after installing SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolanicola, Aug 30, 2013.

1. nicolanicola macrumors member

I just installed an SSD in my mid 2010 macbook pro. I restored the system from time machine. However, my temperature has shot up to around 80 degrees, and from system monitor, various processes are contributing to 200% + CPU usage.

What's going on?

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It looks like Spotlight may be indexing, and it looks like you may also have some corrupted fonts. Launch Font Book and verify all your fonts.

Try restarting, then re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​
    Re-indexing a drive can take a while (even a few hours), so be patient and let it complete the process.

3. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. It is indexing, you are right. Should I reindex then after it has finished?

Font book was running because I was deleting corrupted fonts, in a bid to discover if this was the reason photoshop wasn't opening files quickly.

How can all the percentages add up to more than 100% thought? Isn't that a sign that something is not working?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can just let it finish indexing. You don't need to reindex again. The indexing is likely the cause for your slower performance overall.

The percentages can add up to more than 100% because you have 100% for each core. A dual core can show up to 200% usage, a quad core, 400%.

5. nicolanicola thread starter macrumors member

Ok that makes sense now.

It's getting much hotter since I installed the SSD. It's at 90 degrees (190F) at the moment.

I have just opened an application called Netbeans and it's taking up 150% CPU. It didn't used to use this much before as I would notice the heat on my mbp. Can you suggest what has happened?