Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m021478

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
I'm basically hoping that someone could put themselves in my situation and answer the following question:
You're about to convert a massive collection of about 700 movies into iPad 3/iPhone 5/AppleTV 3 compatible files, and your goal is to achieve a high quality output that virtually mirrors the original, while maintaining compatibility with these devices, what settings would you use to do it?
I plan on deleting my source files when I'm done, so I don't want to screw this up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Assuming the AppleTV requirement means that you intend to view it on an HD TV set then you'd need to retain the resolution of the source and minimize compression but that would be a given based on "goal is to achieve a high quality output that virtually mirrors the original". That said, if you intend to store these files on your devices that may not the best approach. Does quality actually trump all other considerations?

Try encoding one to see if the quality and file size meet your requirements. Some people have a greater tolerance for quality loss due to compression than others.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I'm basically hoping that someone could put themselves in my situation and answer the following question:

I plan on deleting my source files when I'm done, so I don't want to screw this up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I use the Apple TV 3 preset and have been happy with the results.

But as far as doing a batch of 700 movies, I don't think it'll work. I found that doing a batch conversion with more than 30 movies in the queue would crash HandBrake.

I have a Mac Pro running 10.6.8.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Universal

There's a universal setting.

I also use the AppleTV 3 setting, as that's usually the highest, and what I'll be watching my movies on most regularly.

Are you ripping the DVDs first?

tomssy

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
your goal is to achieve a high quality output that virtually mirrors the original

I searched a bit on this recently and my conclusion was that the High Profile Setting with RF set to 19 is the best for DVD. Anything more won't be better than the source DVD (not sure about Blu-Ray).

I think the Universal setting is meant to cater for older Apple devices. So if your target are iPad 3/iPhone 5/Apple TV 3 then you'd be better off with ATV3 setting. High Profile and Apple TV 3 settings are very similar.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm in the process of converting all of my Blu-Ray movies and shows for the Apple TV 3/iPad 3 (I also have an iPhone 5 but have no interest in watching video on it). So far I have converted 320+ BR movies. I use MakeMKV to rip the BR. Then I use the Apple TV 3 preset in Handbrake. The only consistent change I have made is to add a third audio track using the DTS-HD Passthru option or Auto Passthru. The Apple TV 3 does not support such audio, but I want to future proof my M4V encodes for when, hopefully, the Apple TV supports DTS.

I have an older thread talking about the video size, which for my BR movies averages about 5.8-6.0 GB, with a range around 2.5 GB to 22 GB. For a few of the movies I have changed the CQ to 19.5 or 19, but that was only a handful of times and those movies were taken out of my average and range calculation.

I generally watch the BR first, and then down the road my wife and I will watch the encode via the ATV3. Video wise, I think the Apple TV 3 preset does a wonderful job. I'm watching these on a 55" Sony 1080p LED tv from approximately a distance of 7-8.5 feet. My wife cannot tell a difference; I can only tell a slight difference. Audio trails the BRs due to no DTS-HD/TrueHD or DTS audio, just DD 5.1.

I think HB's ATV3 preset does a good balancing job between file size and quality. My 320 BR movies take up approximately 1.9 TB. Therefore, if your 700 movies are all BR, be prepared to have ample HDD space available. I have a 9 TB Raid-0 array that I've filled up about 1/3 of the way (when adding in my TV show rips).

FYI, all of my information above is moot if your video source is not HD BR rips. If you just have DVDs, then you need advice from someone else.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you using Handbrake on Lion or Mountain Lion, be warned that batch conversion of many movies, especially if some are HD, will cause all of your physical memory to run out, causing massive page out to virtual memory.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I think HB's ATV3 preset does a good balancing job between file size and quality. My 320 BR movies take up approximately 1.9 TB. Therefore, if your 700 movies are all BR, be prepared to have ample HDD space available. I have a 9 TB Raid-0 array that I've filled up about 1/3 of the way (when adding in my TV show rips).

9TB in RAID-0? Sounds scary. How do you back that up? Remember, with RAID-0 if you lose 1 disk you lose everything.

cjhessing

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
similar to you

Hello, Iv been doing something very similar to you this past month. Copying all sorts of movies and tv shows into my 6tb (now full) external itunes library so they can be played over atv, airplay, ps3, you name it.

I agree that handbrake is excellent and have used the cli to batch things in the past but this past month iv been using subler (a free app) and iFlicks (not free but i couldn't have survived without it). iFlicks will do what you ask with little to no input from you throughout. Ask it to create an itunes compatible file and it will passthrough audio, and provide 2 audio tracks, one stereo and one surround sound from your dts audio or multichanel codec. iFlicks is a batch program so just drag and drop as many files as you want into it.

Works flawlessly for me so i see no reason why it shouldn't for you. It also adds the metadata and cover art itself though you can change art or things around as you wish. Both these programs also optimise the file, which doesn't alter quality but from what i have read makes things much faster to stream/start. Handbrake to my knowledge doesn't so that

Subler, well i used that solely to extract stupid things i didnt want before sending the batch to flicks - things like multiple audio streams (i don't want or need 15 languages) and multiple subtitle files. Subler will extract that for you without altering your video, that said, so would other free tools like mkvmerge though i find subler easier to use in some ways.

This is just my opinion but this is what has worked for me. If you have any non passthrough files some avi, some mpeg perhaps, iFlicks can convert those but that can take time as like with handbrake its a re-enconde not a passthrough.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.