Massive improvments to AT&T coverage preparatory to iPhone 3g rollout

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bit_bucket, Jun 30, 2008.

1. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

I have noticed a steady increase in coverage to places that were never covered and I assume 3g is part of this strategy. About 2 months ago I had lots of dead spots on my drive home through small western va towns and of course over the Shanendoah Mountains. What I am finding now is that I have full coverage through these towns as well as over the mountains. I was astounded one day when my wife continued a phone conversation from one valley, over the mountain and to the next valley. I am also noticing that the 3g coverage is starting to creep closer out to where I am at.

Anyone else seeing these things? And do you feel it is due to the impending iPhone release?

2. Kupe macrumors member

Sadly no - my neighborhood is smack in the middle of a 3G (blue) region on AT&T's maps, but my phones (and my neighbors') continue to alternate between EDGE and GPRS. Maybe the 3G maps are predictive ... or hopeful. :(

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

My moms house still has very little coverage. I am lucky to get one bar. I am forced to use a landline, which isn't a problem, but I shouldn't have to. She is doesn't live in the middle of nowhere.

4. gowanis macrumors 6502

sadly the Newark - Jersey City area (where I commute and work) is still pretty much an EDGE dead zone. 20 kbps is typical, with 80 kbps being fast. Not sure about 3G, I'd be curious if its a lot better.

5. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you, I just got 3G in my area a week ago. Its awesome.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As much as I want to believe the hype, I haven't seen any difference in the coverage in my neighborhood. Still the 2-3 bars, and the occasional dreaded "no service" but this is due to my living in a valley and at its lowest point. 3G coverage is unchanged as well. Maybe as I get out a bit more, I'll notice the difference. I'm on vacation right now, so Palm Springs, CA has the most excellent coverage, and 3G is wonderful right now, (as evidenced by my sister-in-law's 3G phone). Hopefully, things will change on 07.11.08! :cool:

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I see some improvement overall. But I still live in an are of about 12 miles EDGE only coverage.
    They make big claims, but it would be interesting to see how much coverage 'area wise' they have in the U.S. when you look at percentage of 3G coverage by population.

I had a Nextel in the past at work and they only places you could use them on Nextel's network is along major Freeways.