Massive iTunes Radio Update

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by koolkool, Mar 28, 2014.

1. koolkool macrumors newbie

If you've been disappointed with iTunes Radio's constant repeats and questionable song selections, on custom radio stations, you should consider trying it again. They updated the selection algorithm and it's now on par, if not better than, Pandora!

After rating a few songs, the algorithm is now very precise with the songs it picks for you. No more repeats and it creates amazing mixes that you can just let play with very little skipping or "Thumbs Downing" after the initial learning process. The 'Hits/Variety/Discovery' slider's song selections are very relevant now too and I've found it surfaces a lot of gems that had me running to my phone to see which artist was playing so I could find more.

I had doubts if they would ever fix any of these issues, like how Apple Maps has languished years later, but this latest update addresses almost all my complaints with the initial roll out.

2. Poontaco macrumors regular

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

iTunes Radio is all I listen to. I finally created the station I really like that is playing some songs I like that don't get played on the radio that often. Good stuff.

Don't forget to click the I at the top of each station and turn on explicit content.

4. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

yes i can definitely vouch for this, it seems that since the 7.1 update iTunes Radio is now that quality that it should have been at the launch of 7.0 :apple:

5. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Is it documented anywhere that they actually updated the algorithm or something?

6. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I think it was the music providers. Kind of seems like there's more labels aligning with iTunes radio. Used to be a lot of artists or songs that would give me trouble when I tried to make a new station but know that seems to not be the case.

7. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

You're confused. The music provider is Apple. The record companies have ZERO to do with how Apple's algorithm works.

8. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

hmmm, i don't know about that. There was a problem with the same exact songs playing in the same order almost every day that i listened to it. This definitely seems like a software problem. If it was the labels, they would just play different songs from the same album.

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

If a label doesn't allow their songs to be played, how will Apple possibly have a variety? Yes, yes they do have control over algorithms.

----------

If they only have a dozen labels to choose from how can they play different songs though?

Anywho, it most definitely was improved, no doubt. However, I think the labels hindered the launch. Not necessarily Apple

10. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It's definitely much better. When I say "play more like this", it now plays more of that artist, as opposed to before.