Massive Mac refresh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tech198, Apr 20, 2015.

  1. Tech198 macrumors G5

    Mar 21, 2011
    Australia, Perth
    Hi all..

    About to refresh my entire Mac gadgets...

    Apple TV 3's
    Mac Mini (Late 2012)
    MacBook Pro Retima (Late 2013)
    iPhone 5s (thinking of either a 6 or 6 Plus)
    iPad 4th gen. (going for iPad Air 2)
    Airport Express (new one with Eithernet port).. I still current use the older plug in one.

    However, wondering is the iPad Air still 16:9 ?

    Now my circumstances have changed for streaming vs storage on Mac mini, as my primary use for it was Home sharing (and remotely accessing it, so no display, and no keyboard/mouse after setup).

    However, since this change, was wondering weather to skip the mini, since i can get all it on iTunes/Netflix anyway... :apple:
  2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

    Aug 28, 2012
    Between the coasts
    The iPad Air 2 is 4:3 (2048 x 1536).

    Is there a reason to retire the Mini at all? Is there a performance issue? While you may choose to stream all new media, streaming can peacefully co-exist with what you already have. We all have our own ideas of when to refresh our hardware, but I think most folks would say a 2012 still has a few good years left in it, especially as your usage is not all that demanding.
  3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G5

    Mar 21, 2011
    Australia, Perth
    ok thanks....

    Still,, i need a refresh......

    The ipad air 2 is 4:3? so how does that compare to the 4th gen i currently have with same resolution? was that 4:3 too?
  4. Lancetx macrumors 68000


    Aug 11, 2003
    All iPad models have always been 4:3 from the first generation to the present.
  5. TallManNY macrumors 601


    Nov 5, 2007
    Timing for a refresh doesn't seem good. First you can't upgrade tv yet. But soon according to rumors. Second you are a bit late to upgrade the phone. The 6s will be out in five months and your 5s is still a nice phone. You can add Apple Watch to it which will add Apple Pay functionality, which is nice if you are in the US. I'd not bother upgrading from 4th gen iPad to Air 2. There isn't enough performance difference I'd say. Again, wait for a new Air to come out in the Fall.
    But the MacBook Pro 13 inch is a nice upgrade. Good luck with that. And of course upgrade your connection hardware. That is always worth it.
    What Watch are you getting? That is the real upgrade that I would do over changing most of the above.
  6. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 2, 2014
    [iPhone] update is still doable but not recommendable because we are more than half trough the life cycle. Wait for iPhone 6S/6S+
    [Apple TV] hasn't been updated since 2012 I recommend you to wait for WWDC for an update that might arrive there.
    [iPad] update is good to go. It has 2GB RAM and a A8X processor which should be fine for a couple of years!
    [MacBook Pro] if you consider a 13" you are good to go they were updated in March but maybe you want to wait for the new Skylake processors form Intel.
    [Mac Mini] why don't you upgrade the RAM and if it has a HDD you could replace it with an SSD. Plenty of power!
    [Airport] Good to go they were updated last year don't except Apple will update them this year.
  7. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

    Feb 25, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    depending on your configuration, a newer Mac Mini might actually be a downgrade from your current machine, depending on what you use it for. what is the config on your current Mini?

    there's really not enough difference between the 2013 retina machines to now to warrant an upgrade IMO. personally i'd spend that money on getting higher capacity iphones and ipads and the other accessories to go with them.
  8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Dec 24, 2007
    I agree, I wouldn't swap the ATV3, Mini, or Retina at the moment. Iphone and ipad air sure.

    ATV could be going for a very significant upgrade at WWDC, your mini is fine, and the retina is not going to be a big jump.
  9. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502


    Mar 29, 2013
    B.F., KS
    I'd say just upgrade to the iPad Air 2 and an Airport Extreme. Hold off on a new Apple TV until WWDC in June when/if a new model is released.
    I'd keep that quad i7 mini.
  10. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    Wait for the MacBook Pro Skylake refresh. It'll be big.

    Read bottom of post:
    For more elaboration/reasoning:
  11. Beachguy macrumors 6502a


    Nov 23, 2011
  12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

    Jun 20, 2008
    Part of the old MR guard.
    It's MacRumors (about current/future products) forum, not MacFacts or MacVerifiedInsideInformation.
  13. Beachguy macrumors 6502a


    Nov 23, 2011
    I understand, but you can't assume facts and then act as though they are so. That is the issue I point out. By stating flatly that something is true which is only a rumor, he goes from credible to not credible. Had he simply said "indications are that this is going to happen..." I would have no problem.

Share This Page