Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yusukebad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Ahoy mates!

I'm sorry for jumping in the forum without introducing myself, but I have a problem which i need to be solved asap.

Here's the situation:

My boss has a 20" iMac with windows XP (All updates done) and a Laptop with Windows Vista business (All updates done), the thing is he wants to use the 20" screen as main screen for his laptop and the keyboard+mouse of the iMac.
The very first thing I told him, right away, is that it was possible;Foolish me, for then realizing that I'm talking about a iMac, which I cannot only turn the monitor on.
(I've tried doing everything and came up with the conclusion, I need a MAC gods help).

Very well, it has been two days since he asked me this, but I only came to realize that I wouldn't be able to do it so easily when the little "Mini-DVI to VGA" cable came, for I ordered to make the connection.

I humbly ask for any MAC god to,please, help this brainless Windows and PC hardware user in his quest.

Kind Regards
Yuri Valle.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Run the Windows Remote Desktop client on the 20" iMac and remote desktop into the Vista laptop - thats basically all you can do.

The mini-DVI port is a video OUTPUT so you can have a 2nd display on the imac, not an INPUT to display some other source on the screen.

If you purchased an Elgato EyeTV or other USB video input device, you'd need a second mouse/keyboard for the Vista laptop, or unplug the keyboard/mouse from the iMac and plug it into the Vista laptop every time you wanted to use it - which is really inconvenient.

Windows Remote desktop is the way to go.

Yusukebad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Oh boy. >.<!

DJC6,

So, there is no way to use the cable I ordered ?
Is MSTSC the only way to use the 20" as screen ?
If there might be a solution, please, even if it's hard, I'd like to know.

Kindest regards,
Yuri Valle

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
If there might be a solution, please, even if it's hard, I'd like to know.

EDIT: Sorry, this won't work - I forgot the iMac is running Windows XP. This device only works for MacOS X. Maybe you can find something equivalent for Windows XP, but again, this is an awful idea.

2ND EDIT: For the cost of this device, you could buy another LCD for the laptop :)

Assuming the Vista laptop has an S-video or Composite output, you could use a TV tuner such as this:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/tuner/250plus/product1.en.html

This would display the laptop on the 20" iMac. Usually people use this device to watch TV or display a video game console on their iMac.

Just a warning though, this is a terrible idea :) Remote Desktop seems a LOT simpler, and no shuffling the keyboard/mouse around.

Yusukebad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
Thank you very much!

@djc6
Thank you for your almost instant help!
Very well then, I will do whatever I can to tell my boss that the cable we bought is of no use.
Thanks again!
(Y)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.