Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motorpsycho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I had a 320 gb hard drive that I had bought about a year ago. I would say somewhere around this time, actually. So anyway, I just rebooted my macbook and I plug in my hard drive and then all of a sudden, it gets disconnected and says "This Device was not removed properly, some files might be lost" I'm confused, because this damn thing was still plugged in. I keep trying to unplug it and let it sit and then plug it back in again. It powers up (even has the blue indicator light turn on and off during this process) but not before shutting down again. It doesn't even stay on long enough to get recognized by my macbook.

Okay, excuse my french but I might have potentially lost over 200 gbs of data, so anyway...WHAT THE *BEEP* JUST HAPPENED?!?!?! I JUST rebooted this thing and it decides to fail on me now? Goddamn talk about timing. Someone please help me. I'm going to call Western Digital in the morning but I had just backed up this thing with so many files and I can't imagine losing all this schoolwork now. I really hope that this isn't what I think it is.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If it's just a power supply failure you might get lucky and it's possible your data is still intact. When you talk to WD, ask them if it's possible to switch enclosures or something (although don't be surprised when they turn you down). After that you can try removing the drive yourself and buying a separate enclosure to see if that's really the problem.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Buy a 3.5" SATA external enclosure and take the drive out of the my book. Place the drive inside the new enclosure and enjoy.

therealkaizoku

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Oregon
As others have said, I suggest buying a good quality external hard drive housing to put the drive in. WD My Books are notorious for controller board issues.

The drive is most likely fine, but the controller board is probably fried.

I had to send a 1TB MyBook back after 2 days because of a bad controller board.

motorpsycho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Thanks you guys! I'll try to get a new enclosure for this thing. I just can't afford to lose this stuff right now. Thank you all so much. I'll keep you updated on whether this works.

UPDATE: I just called them and spoke to tech support. They told me the same thing. My options are basically turning this hard drive into an internal or external hard drive. My warranty and support has expired but they were kind enough to still answer my questions. I'm looking on ebay to buy a new enclosure, since they are going for pretty cheap there. Whew! Thank God for you guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.