Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wutang61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Anyone else have this? With my 4s i pulled 4-6mbps testing at different times over the course of a year.

With the 5 I'm now seeing 9-11mbps down. The 4s's modem must have been terrible.

Still doesn't hold a candle to LTE but almost 2x the network performance was worth the upgrade in itself.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Anyone else have this? With my 4s i pulled 4-6mbps testing at different times over the course of a year.

With the 5 I'm now seeing 9-11mbps down. The 4s's modem must have been terrible.

Still doesn't hold a candle to LTE but almost 2x the network performance was worth the upgrade in itself.

The iPhone 4S was only capable of HSPA+ 14, the iPhone 5 supports up to HSPA+ 42. AT&T uses HSPA+ 21 but your 4S didn't have the radio to support those speeds so that's why you're seeing the speed boost. Real world speeds are typically around half of the theoretical maximum speeds (14, 21, 42).

wutang61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
The iPhone 4S was only capable of HSPA+ 14, the iPhone 5 supports up to HSPA+ 42. AT&T uses HSPA+ 21 but your 4S didn't have the radio to support those speeds so that's why you're seeing the speed boost. Real world speeds are typically around half of the theoretical maximum speeds (14, 21, 42).

Interesting. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks

----------

Will add that even without lte this alone is enough to keep me happy until AT&T gets it deployed around here. I'm hoping for around year end 2013. But at that time I will have the 5s so I doubt I'll ever get to use lte on this phone.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Used to get 4-5 on a iP4 over 3G. Now:

image.jpg

My carrier doesn't support 4G yet but those 3G speeds are quite nice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.