Massive performance issues with MBPro, 13, mid 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n3ks0s, Dec 11, 2010.

1. n3ks0s macrumors newbie

Hey!

I have been struggling with my Mac for weeks and weeks and before I finally decide to reinstall everything I wanted to turn to you experts for maybe the one hint that can resolve my problem:

I have a 13 inch MBPro, mid 2010, basic version.
    Later I installed the WD Scorpio Blue 1 TB hard drive and copied the time machine backup. Shortly after, I recognized massive lags.
    I have quiet a few photos (3000 or so), 20gb of music and 40gb of films on this drive but only a few programs. Adium, Steam, Starcraft, MS Office, Skype, Growl and that is it I think.
    I use mobileme for synching, if that helps in any way.

Some examples:
    Sometimes youtube videos lag for a few seconds, even with HTML5, it takes 5 seconds to open a new tab in sapharie (again, only sometimes without any obvious rule).

Opening iPhoto or Word can be done in a few seconds, sometimes it takes ten times as much. (after i quitted it completely, not just switching to it) It is impossible to scroll through my events in iPhoto fluently without lag.

Starcraft 2 is almost unplayable. It lags when I am in the menu (!) so that it takes ages to even choose a map. Surprisingly, when I am ingame, it runs okay, even though the performance seems to be not optimum.

Almost always I can enjoy the wonderful rainbow-coloured ball and it seems like the system collapsed completely, but it starts working again after 30 seconds or so.
    I checked memory, cpu etc. and it seems to be alright, I used disk utilities as well and checked it.

My first guess was my new hard drive but the massive performance issues do not seem to be stemming only from a slow drive, I have no idea what to do, except of a complete reinstallation without time machine but I am not sure whether this resolves the problem.
    I am thankful for any hints, it would help me a lot!

Best regards and thanks for this great forum,
    n3ks0s

2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

3. n3ks0s thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, I did that more than once and there were always a few permissions that had to be repaired but my impression is that that is definitely not the main source of my problem since it persisted after the repair.

4. fobis macrumors member

The obvious thing to try would be to put your old hard drive back in and see what happens. You know, since typically if something stops working properly after a change, then that particular change would likely be the root of your problem. Try it and if nothing changes, then it was just a big coincidence and you have bigger issues than just your drive.

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

I have had similar issues with mine.

First with the stock drive, second with a WD Blue 500gb (which started throwing read errors and I RMA'd it) and finally with a WD Blue 640gb which has also started throwing read errors.

I figure that the SATA chipset is bad or there is something wrong with the cable, my 2009 was perfect and this is just hideously slow. I can't wait for the refresh so I can sell this one and try my luck with a new system. All in all, horrible experience with this 2010 over the 2009.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

If the original drive was fine then the replacement drive is bad.