Massive pre-order stock

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheBama, Mar 8, 2012.

1. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

After the server-crushing traffic Apple was dealing with yesterday i was expecting to find "ships in 1-2 weeks" labels on the Apple Store by now, but all but three sku's (all AT&T models) are still available for day-of-release ordering.

Wonder just how many units they have ready to ship?

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

3. timotay89 macrumors regular

They bought over half the cargo space flying out of China.

Couple million maybe? And they have another week to get them here.

4. mikepas macrumors member

There have been persistent rumors that Apple has had Foxconn cranking these things out since mid-December in order to have a large stockpile ready for the product launch. After seeing how fast the ship times slipped in the past I'm shocked they haven't slipped more yet.

Heck, I was able to pre-order a white 64GB Verizon LTE iPad just an hour or so ago...

5. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Although no iPad has been able to be pre-ordered before, I think the hype just hasn't caught up with the magic yet. Once the media takes off with the iPad 3 and word starts getting out those times will start slipping (from my belief). It's only been 30 hours or so since the announcement. Not like the past years 9 days of buildup to get one.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm at Newark airport right now. The last 5 planes to land have been Fed Ex Airbus A310's. :eek:

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

The original iPad could be pre-ordered.

8. TheBama thread starter macrumors 6502

TheBama

Ah, didn't know the 2 couldn't be pre-ordered. i was late to the iPad party as it took me a while to self-justify the cost. By the time I went for one it took me a week to find one in stock.

9. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

I stand corrected, thanks for filling me in. I was just relaying the information that I read elsewhere.

10. thaghost macrumors 6502

my apologies. That place is a dump...

----------

iPad 2 was out of stock up here in Chicago (or at least around my area) for several weeks.

Maybe Apple has finally stepped it up.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yes it is! By far the worst airport I've ever been to. Last time I landed, we spent 30 minutes driving in circles looking for a gate to park. At one point the pilot said "Ladies and gentlemen, please bare with us, air traffic control keeps sending other planes to the gates they assign us."

12. JeffMorse macrumors regular

Every time Apple releases an ipad they sell a bajillion of them. What was it that Tim said yesterday? They sold something like 14.1 MILLION ipads just last quarter. That's 14.1 million sales when it was widely known that in March(ish) a new version was coming out. Even if Apple had to sit on a huge stockpile for a couple of months, they knew they'd sell out before long.

I think last years shortages were caused in big part because of the earthquake.

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Even worse than JFK? That place is a dump!

Surprisingly, Detroit has a very nice airport!

Back on topic...l. They have to have a butt ton. They are simultaneously launching in multiple countries, and the shipping times haven't started slipping yet.

I wonder if this will be an issue after the hype has died and foxconnn discovers they have an excess of manufacturing capacity.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Eh, JFK is a close 2nd to Newark. The employees at both airports just don't care about anything. The best part about Newark is the 5 Guys in terminal A.

15. mookgiants macrumors member

I pre-ordered a 16gb wifi from Apple tonight and it's already being prepare for shipment.

Think I will be able to easily get cost + tax for my other 16gb that I pre-ordered through JR.com? I had enough in JR gift cards to cover the cost, but I want to sell that one and keep the one from apple because I put the one from Apple on my AMEX and therefore get an extra year of warranty. If I can basically get 530 for my ipad from JR.com I will be happy

16. Ravager814 macrumors newbie

I didn't know that! So no reason to buy Apple Care if you pay with AMEX?

17. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Delayed purchase

Does anyone know what the stock was like last year following release? I'm visiting the States on the 31st for a week and was holding out buying an iPad until then as it's much cheaper than the UK.

Don't want to run the risk of them running out though. Cheers.

18. mookgiants macrumors member

Well, you can still buy the Applecare+ and the AMEX extra year will kick in after that is finished, or you can get skip out on Applecare and the AMEX warranty will kick in after the manufacturers warranty. I'll still get Applecare+, so then basically I'll have the device covered for 3 years.

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/int/pages/extendedwarrantydetails.do?vgnextoid=d13cbc0508bdf210VgnVCM40000037b3ad94RCRD

19. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Not the JetBlue terminal at JFK... excellent terminal, one of the best.

Detroit used to be a dump, but it's nice now.

20. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Enough about the Detroit airport!:D

It did used to be a dump but it's first rate now. :cool:

As far as stock, don't be surprised if sales are not as crazy as one may think based on this website due to the fact that many people just bought new iPads in the last year. While there is always an initial rush, not many folks are going to just throw away $500.

Most people don't want to be bothered with selling their iPads to funds new ones. That stuff is for the geeks! As a result I think many will be holding on to their current iPad's for a while.