MASSIVE problem with iPhone 4 alarm & Daylight Savings.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Broph, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Broph thread starter macrumors 6502

Broph

Massive regarding to the number of people affected.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm interested where this is happening since daylight savings (thinks to the infinite wisdom of our 43rd President) isn't until Nov in the US. And also MASSIVE may be a bit of an overstatement, it's daylight savings.

3. matttnz macrumors newbie

It's a "massive" problem here in NZ where it is daylight savings and the alarms go off to early and then not when they should. Apparently apple have known about this since the 4.1 update but we are not big enough to care about (as the previous post seems to echo...)

4. Orion126 macrumors regular

4.1 was just released a couple of weeks ago and I'm assuming that it's not a priority until the US goes into Daylight Savings.

Sorry NZ, you're just not big enough to get a 4.1.1 update.

5. jns2001 macrumors regular

The arrogance of some amazes me. Just sayin'

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The US is in Daylight Saving Time.

7. radioactive macrumors member

Uh-huh. Massive.

Just curious, how would you categorize the earthquake in Christchurch last month?

8. Double Down macrumors newbie

Correct. The US doesn't go OUT of daylight savings until Nov.

9. the09factor macrumors newbie

Screwed up here I'm the UK too. Thankfully my bedside light has a timer or I'd have slept until who knows when.

Simple errors are usually the most disruptive

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll laugh when the 4.1 goes back off Daylight Savings here in the US, and alarms still go off an hour early, then you complain about it being a major bug.

BL.

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Hey look, this would make a great OTA update instead of having to reflash the entire OS... Oh wait...

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They go off an hour late not early and it only affects repeat alarms.

13. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

In US just experienced this.

14. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yeah, the US just got to wake up an hour early today and in the fog of sleep wonder what the hell was going on?

15. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

FIX it NOW! This is far more annoying than every bug else could be. ATM the whole iOS world is affected. So everyone who useses the iPhone as Alarm Clock has to set the clock one hour earlier - otherwise he will be late.

:mad:

16. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Why?
    It doesn't happen until Sunday, November 7, 2010 in the United States.

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I don't know why, I am not the one who did a poor job building the Clock app. All I know is that myself and a bunch of other people from the US got to wake up an hour early today for no reason.

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Melodramatic. Not massive by any means and it's a bug thats already being fixed in 4.2 which is due soon.

In the meantime some say deleting your alarms and re-adding them solves the problem.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, that doesn't work.

20. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Actually when it comes to bugs this is a very important one, and it should have had it's own update if 4.2 was not going to be released in time for the next round of alarm clock issues.

Maybe it doesn't matter much to you but a lot of people depend on there phones to wake them up in the morning. A non functioning alarm clock is a good way to lose a job, miss a flight, be late to open up your business, be late for a meeting, etc. Sounds massive to me.

The above reasons are also why people should use two alarm clocks, but that's a whole different issue.

21. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

I don't think i understand who or what this problem is attached to. I am running the most current software update (not jailbroken) with an iphone 4. I have a repeating alam (Mon-Fri) and haven't touched it since i bought the phone (and i don't think i even set it on the 4, i think it carried over from my 3G). I haven't experienced any issues with the alarm going off an hour early (or late for that matter). Maybe i'm lucky or simply not understanding the problem.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Where in the world are you?

Have your clocks gone back or forward for DST yet?

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I also use the alarm function every morning and have been affected by the issue but to me its not as egregious as the contacts app bug. Now that is a big one. The alarms bug is important but is not MASSIVE...to me anyway

Then again thats just me.

Seems you're right. The other workaround (which i have been using) is to set the alarm an hour earlier to the actual alarm time.