Massive problems with 8 core

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wanderer11, Feb 17, 2008.

1. wanderer11 macrumors newbie

I've just put in a Sonnet Tempo E2P and a AJA Kona 3 cards in my mac pro. (13 gigs ram) Now its a nightmare. I'm not even sure if its the cards or the 10.5.2 update. I've had to reformat my main hard drive because of some uncurable b-tree problem. I've had to rebuild my system 3 or 4 times. I finally put in a terrabyte drive to use for Time Machine but even that isn't putting things back 100%. I've pulled everything out, I've put them back in one at a time. Nothing seems to matter. Suddenly Final Cut Pro won't see my Tiffen Filters and my projects are no good. I'm losing my mind. Every god damn restart has a whole new slew of problems from missing filters to desktop pictures that disappear on their own. Anyone out getting 'Vista-ed' likes this? I'm a Mac whore, but right now, with a video to get out, I'd like to kick someone from Apple in the nuts over this.

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

sorry to hear about this. just some thoughts:
    did you check for the latest firmware updates for your cards?
    did you run disk utilities, disk warrior or onyx to repair permissions (thinking of the FCP issues). it's recommended after any hardware/software upgrade.

good luck,
    keebler

3. wanderer11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, Disk Warrior and I are good friends now. I've done all the upgrades (firmware/software) and repair permissions religiously. At this point it all feels very personal.

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

bummer...i'd probably feel the same thing. actually, i felt that way yesterday with a blue screen of death (very reminiscent of winblows) on my dually G4. fixed it and that's another story, but for awhile..... :)

Sorry...no other ideas on how to help :(

Cheers,
    Keebler

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

This may sound random, but has your memory been installed pre-problems?

6. wanderer11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yeah the memory has been in for the better part of a year. I just never seemed to have this much trouble with an OS since 10.2.8 or something like that waaay back. It just bugs the hell out of me that this OS was delayed by six or more months and nothing seems to work with it. I just got After Effects to work this month. Too much iPhone, not enough real business. I don't mind seeing Apple try to woo the masses, but hey, we were here first. Core first, masses second. Remember what got you here.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

The key thing is not "up grade everything and install all new drivers and firmware." Well I guess you know that now. Don't change anything if you have a project to get out. You aren't working from an Admin account are you. Sounds like you might be if stuff disappears.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

9. wanderer11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it better not to be from an Admin account? I haven't heard that before.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd e-mail the support desks of all the third party hardware and software you use and ask what the most recent "safe" versions of QT and OS X are for their respective products. QT 7.4 has been especially bad at screwing things up for video people.

Lethal

11. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I definitely agree with this; I used to think that the iPhone's interface development was sort of a next step in computing, and while it may very well be, I wonder how well the Apple tree has grown with their customer base. From diverting OS X resources to finishing the mobile OS X platform to allowing hardware issues to fester in their machines, I'm certainly paying attention to stable and hardware supported Linux devices more and more these days.

12. kimkrause macrumors newbie

never use different user account

i had the exact reverse problem. not wanting my clients to have access to personal info i set up a fcp user account. everything worked great except for the fact that my own user settings became totally buggered. fcp wouldn't render....motion would hang up...logic would quit. i eventually re-built the whole system from scratch dumped my own stuff to a new laptop and never set up any other users.....now everything is great. i have a real edit suite that works now.