Massive SSD indecision... HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

i ordered the Crucial M4 256GB SSD. Its set to be delivered on Tuesday. I changed my mind and want to order the OCZ Vertex tonight and return the Crucial SSD unopened when it arrives for a refund. Please advise. Is OCZ a better SSD?

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

nooooooooo don't do it!

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They are comparable drives. What is about the Crucial that has you concerned?

4. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Should i keep the Crucial?

5. Fugue macrumors 6502

Are you looking for reliability or raw speed? If you are working with massive amounts of data daily, don't care about battery life, and are seeking pure speed go with the Vertex 3.

For everything else, the Crucial m4, the Samsung 470, and the Kingston V+100 will be just fine.

6. Minhthien macrumors 6502

yes yes yes x 10000

7. wegster macrumors 6502

Ranked up by 1. :)

In real world use, you're not going to see the benchmark numbers, while nearly any of the better SSDs will give a noticeable speed improvement over a HD..either just in app launch and boot speeds (nice, but really - who cares?), or in data manipulation speeds for some applications, assuming your data is on the SSD.

I haven't gone into OCD mode researching all of the current OCDs, but I can tell you a 5-10% sometimes performance gain vs a different brand/model just isn't worth it if it means lower reliability. Do your homework and check for '< ssd brand/model > problems' in searches, on reliability, etc, then as long as benchmark performance is within 20% or so, go with reliability. Right now, I'd probably be looking at the Samsung 470 as my own personal potential pick, but I haven't compared it to every other drive as I stated.