Master pages in Word 2008 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lostcities, Dec 21, 2009.

1. lostcities macrumors newbie

I've set up master pages for my document, with the "different first page" option so I can put a narrow title banner at the top of pages 2+, and a wider one on page 1.
    That's fine. But as soon as I went to the "different first page" option, it became impossible to have identical static guides on all pages. I am using a 6 col grid, not that I have 6 cols of text but because it provides a flexible framework for aligning text and images. So I have 12 guides on the page, and whatever guide I place on page one will disappear from the master pages for pp. 2+. If I replace a missing one on pp. 2+, then it disappears from page 1.

Oh how I miss Pagemaker. I bought and tried InDesign but it is just too much for what I am doing, and way too complicated.

Is this just how Word works or am I missing something? There was no help in the help!

2. coops macrumors regular

3. lostcities thread starter macrumors newbie

Master pages in Word 2008 for Mac

Thanks, coops, that is a good resource!

It does not mention static guides at all, though, or the "different first page" issue in master pages.

I'll keep looking!

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Lots of Word wizards hang out on the Word forum, so I'd try there. :)

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. lostcities thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the re-direction!

Nadine,

Thanks, I will try there!

6. lostcities thread starter macrumors newbie

word forum answered my question

I searched the forum which you referred me to, Nadine, and easily found the answer: the behavior I am seeing is some "buggy" behavior in Word's recently added Publishing Layout function. Disappointing but at least now I know. Maybe Apple's Pages will fill the bill, I'm taking a look at it for my next issue of this project.