MasterCard warranty question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benz63amg, May 6, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Hey guys, is it true that if i buy my iMac with my Mastercard credit card i will have an additional year of warranty on my iMac?

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Call the credit card company's customer service.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

A lot of credit cards have a policy like that. It's kind of a hassle to deal with, but at least it's available. Basically what happens if your product breaks in that second year, you pay for the repair like normal and then visa/mastercard/amex will reimburse you for the cost of the repair.

4. DTMfan macrumors member

yes. I actually used it last month. My current 2009 iMac had a logic board failure about 6 months out of the standard one year warranty. I had no apple care (doh). Luckily , it was purchased on my Mastercard. I called up their extended warranty hotline , the agent took down about 10 mins worth of info.. serial number , store it was purchased , when it was purchased etc and then she emailed me some forms to fill out.

All the need is the original receipt (apple emailed that to me when I bought it).

A statement from your credit card showing the purchase (again found online through my cc)

A repair estimate from a repair shop or apple

A copy of the warranty from apple (again found online)

I emailed all of this to them in under 20 mins and had a check mailed to me in 2 weeks to either use for repair or replacement. Amazing painless process. I like how I got a check which I'm now using to purchase a new '11 iMac (this time with apple care :)

FYI, this program will only extended the original warranty for up to 1 year. It would not work on top of apple care.