Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Isn't it a press or a tap?

Lemme see now... nope, neither of those. :p

Featherbed_Alley_Printshop_Bermuda.jpg

Brass_water_tap.jpg

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
And a lot are switching to Visa for nearly all of their cards. Personally I had zero MasterCards until this past year.

Same, I didn't have any MasterCards until this year.

HSBC, Key, Citi, and Capital One use MasterCard.

I know U.S Bank, Chase, Wells Fargo )uses AMEX & Visa), PNC, and Bank of America uses Visa.

So I do retract what I've said, most of the big banks here in America still lean towards Visa.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
For data on UK card use/spend, www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk is useful.

For example,
- 1 in 10 card transactions are now contactless
- About £50 billion is spent on cards, per month

VISA and MasterCard are essentially interchangeable in the UK, with it being exceedingly rare for a business/shop to accept one and no the other. The transaction fees to the retailer are the same (and both are being amended in current legislation).

Most consumer decisions about which card(s) to have are about the bank issuing them, the terms of use, interest rates, and most importantly the associated rewards plan, air miles, points or whatever.

I think this is a great promotion for MasterCard to do with Apple Pay and tfL.
I don't live in London, nor do I have Apple Pay. But it's promotions like this that publicise these things, and allow us to see how the systems handle new processes, when ramped up in volume.
I tend to use a contactless Amex when using the Tube, on visits to London. Whilst I do suspect that using Apple Pay takes a second or two longer, there may be secondary gain over ticket use, of a reduction in invalid tickets being presented, stopping a queue for several seconds.
But only with increased use, and proper observation, will we know how Apple Pay impacts passenger flow and throughput at peak times.

Reactions: bbfc

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Its exactly the same, or worse here in london. Though I'd add this to the list for whenever it is used:
"Wooah, thats scary"
Then London is perhaps different from the rest of the UK? When I show customers how to use contactless in the large (and very well known) retailer I work at, they are usually amazed at it, and I haven't had a single person complain about the security of it etc. In fact I see quite a lot of people using it on a daily basis.

I thought the UK had the highest usage of contactless in Europe?

Last edited:

SlipperySlop

Suspended
Sep 14, 2015
Ah yes. And Visa uses get the shaft.

What does one have to do with the other????? If you are not happy with Visa, then you must be a **** to keep using it. Is someone holding a gun to your head to force you to use Visa. Where do you people come up with this kind of nonsense??

How about doing it EVERY MONDAY from now on, instead of a virtuous "Aren't we wonderful!" promo month? If you are giving something kind, make it PERMANENT.

Make it permanent? You obviously know NOTING about business. In fact, nothing would satisfy you unless you are given as much money as you want by your special benefactor. Where do you people come up with this nonsense???

Why don't we get a "Free Gas Monday" here in the U.S.???

I was born. Therefore, simply by the "virtue" of being born, I am entitled to anything I want. I shouldn't have to work for a living. I should be able to get all the money I want just by asking for it. FREE, FREE, FREE. I'm telling you people that everything should be free.

I have to stop looking at this forum. There is almost no useful information. But there is, in abundance, the most selfish and self centered bunch of miscreants that I have ever seen. I wish I could take a look at uid15's life. It must be very very pathetic.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Well at least you guys in London have the brains to use contactless cards, chip, and mobile payments.

Here in America we listen to:
"What? Contactless? What's that?"
"No, I'm not using a contactless card, they're stupid and dangerous."
"Mobile phone payments aren't safe, I'll just swipe my card instead."
"Why do I have to insert the card instead? That's stupid."
[doublepost=1456418042][/doublepost]

Why would you even use a Visa anyways? MasterCard is more widely accepted, and there's no advantage to choosing a Visa over a MasterCard.

what's a card. people still write friggin checks. makes my blood boil.

Reactions: mike2413088

djalice

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2004
UK
This would be cool but I have an iPhone 6 and an Apple Watch and using them on TFL made me so anxious I went back to my Oyster card.

Using them was so unreliable, especially the Apple Watch. It would work, then fail, then fail again. My Watch failed 6 times on a bus and the driver just let me on while everyone just stared at me wondering what I was trying to do.

If you try with the other device, you get charged twice!

I love Apple products but they seem to be failing more and more (messages, me.com email etc). They need to concentrate on reliability.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Well at least you guys in London have the brains to use contactless cards, chip, and mobile payments.

Why would you even use a Visa anyways? MasterCard is more widely accepted, and there's no advantage to choosing a Visa over a MasterCard.

I don't, I have MasterCard, but it's not really my choice, it's the issuing bank's choice.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
I don't, I have MasterCard, but it's not really my choice, it's the issuing bank's choice.

Of course you have a choice... Find a different bank. I understand in the UK, most banks use Visa, but that shouldn't stop you from obtaining a MasterCard if you want one.

In the United States, only a few issuers support contactless payment cards, and I moved to a bank that offered them because that's what I wanted.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

Trust me there are plenty of people in the UK who fear contactless needlessly.

You don't have to use it, it's limited to £30 per transaction and so long as you've acted responsibly the card issuer will refund you for any fraudulent transactions.

I don't mind using my Apple Watch on the London Underground; I was in London last week and had no issues whatsoever.

Not only that Santander offer me 3% back on travel for things like the Tube.

Just gutted I won't be in London on the above dates to make use of it!

Oh and at the London 2012 Olympics? If you didn't have a Visa Debit/Credit card or cash you would have been out of luck as MasterCard cards couldn't be used there.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
What does one have to do with the other????? If you are not happy with Visa, then you must be a **** to keep using it. Is someone holding a gun to your head to force you to use Visa. Where do you people come up with this kind of nonsense??

Make it permanent? You obviously know NOTING about business. In fact, nothing would satisfy you unless you are given as much money as you want by your special benefactor. Where do you people come up with this nonsense???

I was born. Therefore, simply by the "virtue" of being born, I am entitled to anything I want. I shouldn't have to work for a living. I should be able to get all the money I want just by asking for it. FREE, FREE, FREE. I'm telling you people that everything should be free.

I have to stop looking at this forum. There is almost no useful information. But there is, in abundance, the most selfish and self centered bunch of miscreants that I have ever seen. I wish I could take a look at uid15's life. It must be very very pathetic.

Well, what are you still doing here?
You not only complained about other members in this forum, but you insult them?
I feel sorry for the people that surround you, as you must be a grumpy old man who hates everyone.
Take your own advice and don't come back!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

In America you also have people that think theres any difference between Visa and Mastercard in the UK ;).

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Uh, what? This is pretty generous - they're losing up to $120/person during each of these promotions. There's no way they could afford to make it permanent.

The aim of the promotion is to make customers try it and see how convenient it is. Once they realize how convenient it is, MasterCard hopes they'll keep doing it (without the financial incentive).

I guess they could have a permanent promotion of "The first 3 days that you use Apple Pay to commute, we'll reimburse you up to $40/day."

I had to laugh with incredulity when you mentioned the word "generous" in reference to a banking institution :D
[doublepost=1456441925][/doublepost]

What's a "check"? Oh, did you mean a cheque? I still barter with goats and chickens.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

Checks are a huge improvement over cash. I've been cash free for two years now. When people give me cash, it ends up in a piggy bank. Not sure what I'll do with it when it's full...

Anyways, with a check, at least I can use my iPhone to edeposit it.

I pay for everything with card or Apple Pay. I use Facebook Cash to pay friends back. I prefer they pay me back with Facebook Cash but accept checks as well.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok, u just know also between these days it will be impossible for everyone else to ride London underground and busses.

It's will be like a stampede of wild elephants.... never before seem in public.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
Checks are a huge improvement over cash. I've been cash free for two years now. When people give me cash, it ends up in a piggy bank. Not sure what I'll do with it when it's full...

Anyways, with a check, at least I can use my iPhone to edeposit it.

I pay for everything with card or Apple Pay. I use Facebook Cash to pay friends back. I prefer they pay me back with Facebook Cash but accept checks as well.

i am for the most part cash free, but always keep enough for tipping money and for the occasional transaction which requires cash only.

however, while i still pay my gardener and pool man with checks, i don't write a check for a carton of milk and a loaf of bread at the grocery store with the line is 5 people deep...

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm actually starting to reduce my card use because smaller businesses around are requiring minimum purchases and/or charging extra for cards more and more. Doesn't mean I'm going to start using checks for day to day purchases though.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
People in their 30s don't know where their chequebook is,
People in their 20s don't know what a chequebook is ...

Reactions: jowie

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Its exactly the same, or worse here in london. Though I'd add this to the list for whenever it is used:
"Wooah, thats scary"

That's not true. I see people using contactless all the time and I've never heard anyone complain or be scared or think it's weird.
[doublepost=1456479766][/doublepost]
Of course you have a choice... Find a different bank. I understand in the UK, most banks use Visa, but that shouldn't stop you from obtaining a MasterCard if you want one.

In the United States, only a few issuers support contactless payment cards, and I moved to a bank that offered them because that's what I wanted.

In terms of banks issuing MasterCard debit cards, I only know of one (Metro Bank) and it's a very small, fairly localised bank.

Despite the numbers of credit cards being high in the UK, the prevalent daily usage for things like travel are done from debit cards, overwhelmingly Visa over MasterCard.

It's really, really not as simple as finding a bank that issues MasterCard.
[doublepost=1456479874][/doublepost]
Then London is perhaps different from the rest of the UK? When I show customers how to use contactless in the large (and very well known) retailer I work at, they are usually amazed at it, and I haven't had a single person complain about the security of it etc. In fact I see quite a lot of people using it on a daily basis.

I thought the UK had the highest usage of contactless in Europe?

No he's just totally wrong, I honestly do not recognise that at all, London is full of contactless payments and almost everywhere now does contactless and I see people using it daily. I've never heard anyone worry about security either.

Reactions: bbfc

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
i am for the most part cash free, but always keep enough for tipping money and for the occasional transaction which requires cash only.

however, while i still pay my gardener and pool man with checks, i don't write a check for a carton of milk and a loaf of bread at the grocery store with the line is 5 people deep...

I didn't say I write checks for anyone. That seems like a huge waste of time. I pay everyone with credit card, Apple Pay, or Facebook cash. Depending on the grocery store, I use Apple Pay or credit card. Both are pretty quick. I get pissed off at anyone who stands there for a minute trying to count out bills and coins to pay for a carton of milk and loaf of bread (or anything else, for that matter.) Get a freaking card.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
In terms of banks issuing MasterCard debit cards, I only know of one (Metro Bank) and it's a very small, fairly localised bank.

Despite the numbers of credit cards being high in the UK, the prevalent daily usage for things like travel are done from debit cards, overwhelmingly Visa over MasterCard.

It's really, really not as simple as finding a bank that issues MasterCard.

There's an easy solution to that.

Join online, get direct deposit, use mobile deposit if you want to cash a check, and if you need customer assistance, call or message them.

I've used multiple banks which have zero branches around my area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.