Mastering in Logic Express 9 - Need Some Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by StevieB, Jun 4, 2010.

1. StevieB macrumors member

I am pretty new to software recording and am currently using Garageband 9 (iMAC/Apogee Duet.)

I have just learned the bad news that I cannot make "real time" track changes while mastering in GB. Instead I understand you have to make track changes via Automation Curves (post track recording /pre mastering.)

Before getting an iMAC and using GB, my recording background was on a Tascam DPO2 Digital PortaStudio. In that process, I was able to monitor the Master track while I was creating it I and could make changes to a individual track volume and pan levels while hearing it in real time.

Can I do this in Logic Express 9?

Thanks,

Steve Berger

I believe that what you are asking is if Logic Express can do real-time automation? The answer to that would be yes.

Garageband might be ok for getting some basic ideas down, but it's not really good for mixing anything at all.

3. thruhikerj macrumors newbie

Monitoring MIDI Inputs

Greetings, I'm new to the Mac world, so please forgive my ignorance about some of the basics.

I'm using a TASCAM US-122 as a MIDI input to Logic Express 9 and want to monitor the input of my instruments, mics, etc. Monitoring seems to be available for new Audio projects, but not new MIDI projects.

I know the Mac sees the Tascam input in sound settings because the meter there activates when the Tascam is selected for input. However, nothing is recorded even when I record in logic express without monitoring.

I can work on verifying input from the Tascam to the Mac later, but any suggestions on how to at least activate monitoring when the tascam is selected for a new MIDI project would be greatly appreciated.